Best converter for flac to aiff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
I've got a Mac inbound (arrives tomorrow!). My music collection currently resides on a PC and a NAS and consists of about 400 GB worth of mostly flac files. I plan on converting these to aiff in order to stay with a lossless format and preserve the metadata (track info, cover art, etc). Any advice on the best converter for the job? I guess I should clarify that my definition of "best" in this case is that it be 100% reliable and reasonably fast.

I've spent hundreds of hours ripping my CD collection and don't want to lose anything in the transition.

From browsing here and elsewhere xld seems to come up most often but thought I'd check first to see if there are other, better alternatives.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Any reason why you don't want to keep FLAC? I know iTunes won't play them, but there are 3rd party plug in's available, or other media players that handle FLAC natively.
If you really want to convert, then Max is by far the best tool for the job. Easy to use, and will preserve metadata if you enable it in preferences.
XLD is good, but complex, and I found it un-intuitive to use.

OP
Donkey Hodie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Kevriano and thanks for your response.

No, no particular reason for wanting to switch to aiff other than it's what iTunes supports. I thought that since I was switching to the Mac from a PC I'd use the apps that were provided but, given that I doubt I'll download anything from iTunes, I could easily stay with flac and use another player.

Is there one you (or anyone else) recommend? I currently use MediaMonkey on Windows 7 and have several Logitech Squeezeboxes distributed around the house. The Squeezeboxes will play either flac or aiff so no need to convert just for them so I suppose it comes down to a player for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well the nicest looking and best alternative to iTunes is Songbird, and there are a few members here who use it exclusively over iTunes. It's certainly very slick, so I'd go with that.
Others are Cog, a very simple player, but pretty decent too.

Songbird - Welcome

OP
Donkey Hodie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the reply. I'll give Songbird a try.

OP
Donkey Hodie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to report back, I have used both xld and max. I've generally found max to be more reliable, xld reported a number of "conversion errors" whereas max converted the library with no problems.

Also, I've been using Songbird ("the Murphy") and like it quite a bit better than iTunes. Thanks for the recommendation Kevriano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcome, and thanks for reporting back. It's always good when people make the effort to report whether they like things or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.