Mac Mini Server without the Server

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mac Forum Members

I finally have taken the plunge and decided to buy a Mac, a decision I am yet to acknowledge as a good choice. I decided to go balls deep so to speak and have bought a Mac Mini Server. No optical drive, No hard back up and still to this date, No clue what I am doing. This is the Mid 2011 from what I can tell and was sent to me (less then 10 days ago) with OSX Lion 10.7 Server.

I was told that it would be possible to remove the server side of things without any difficulty when I asked the sales team. Maybe I should have hit the forums first to save me the trouble of finding out this is not completely accurate. Moving on, Apple do have a way of deleting the files, but not completely. Infact, even after completing the instructions provided my Mac states it is still a server. So I thought, I know, if I format the Mac then I can control what I put back on, as the server is meant to be an addition to the Lion OS. Again maybe a sign of my naivety or lack of experience with the Mac OSX.

So I Hold my Windows Key and R down (yes Windows Key) as my Wireless Keyboard doesn't seem to connect to the Mac in time to allow this is be validated as a command. When in the Recovery section I am faced with an update screen that asks me to download the required files. I have a 1.5Mbps Broadband Connection and this is estimated to take 67 hours. I spoke to Apple care to see if this back up in intertwined with Server and surprise, surprise it is.

I cannot purchase Lion from the App Store as it is already installed and I cannot use the USB Thumb Drive as according to apple Care it is a different build of Lion or something, it was early this morning and I had breakfast on the mind. Does anyone how I can format both Hard Drives and Install a Clean Copy of Lion without the server addition?

And just on the off chance I get asked why I want to do this, I am an anal person and things like this bother me. Plus I don't like been told how I can use my (Upgraded to 8GB of RAM) £1000+ piece of Technology. I don't mind been told what I can do with my iPhone because there is nothing I don't like about it. Sorry for the long first post.

Thanks

DaltzSki

OP
D
Reaction score
Crying Face

I understand it's a long post and most people probably got bored of reading it. I'll break it down. Has any body managed to format a Mac Mini Server with OSX Lion (minus Server)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Honestly, if it's been less than 10 days I would return it and get a Mac Mini (non-server edition). You can purchase the Lion Server Utilities if you really need to use or want them in the Mac App Store for $50.00. I purchased the $799.99 mini 2.5ghz i5 and AMD video card and it can do most anything you would want (Especially if you are new to Macs in general) You can also configure it with a SSD, upgrade to an i7 or whatever with the extra cash. The Lion server is meant more for well, being a server as opposed to a client machine. JMO of course.. Oh and on a side note, RAM upgrades from Apple are expensive. You might consider buying aftermarket RAM from Crucial, GSkill, OWC, etc as it is usually 1/4 of what Apple will charge and they work just fine (I've done this on all my Macs myself).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you are entirely free to download Lion from itunes and wipe that mini and install the standard Lion install if you wish

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.