Will this memory work in Mac Mini?

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
well just realized it wouldn't work i read the specs wrong.

what i am needing is PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin

it is 57 dollars on owc. anywhere i can get comparable ram for a discounted price?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
well just realized it wouldn't work i read the specs wrong.

what i am needing is PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin

it is 57 dollars on owc. anywhere i can get comparable ram for a discounted price?

I was just in the process of posting that I wasn't 100% sure the ram in post#1 would work.

I recently upgraded my wife's MacBook to 8 gig of ram...2 x 4 gig (with the same ram you need)...got it from Micro Center ($49.99). I purchased it locally...so if there was any problems I could return it. No problems:)

But personally...if I didn't have the "local pickup" option...for $8.00 bucks more...I would stick with OWC.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
BestBuy sells a Corsair 8GB kit for $54 that will work in your mini.

Nice little machine, and a great price. I sold mine when I i series hit last July and wish I would have kept this one too. I am thinking of getting another to install server on.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
BestBuy sells a Corsair 8GB kit for $54 that will work in your mini.

Nice little machine, and a great price. I sold mine when I i series hit last July and wish I would have kept this one too. I am thinking of getting another to install server on.

Thanks for the reassurance i did the right thing lol. to tell you the truth i didnt need anything fancy. just something to watch hulu on and surf the web from my easy chair. i really could get by with the 2gb ram but just want more since the upgrade is so cheap. unfotunatly i live in podunk alaska where there arent any stores to buy ram from. i never go to anchoarage which is where the closest bb is (anchorage is 4 hours away). i think one of the big reasons i bought this instead of the new one is the superdrive. anyhow thanks for the posts fellas

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Received my Refurb Mini today (not bad since i just ordered it yesterday and i live in Alaska and there is a snow storm outside) and i have 1 hour before home and hooking it up. my quick question is will the mini stay on all the time? i am really hoping so one of the reasons i bought this thing was so my 7 ios devices could sync and what have you at anytime without turning it on.

also i read the book that came with the mini and it says to follow the instructions to get my magic mouse and bt keyboard paired but i have seemed to have stored the instructions. anyone off the top of there head remember how they did theres?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Received my Refurb Mini today (not bad since i just ordered it yesterday and i live in Alaska and there is a snow storm outside) and i have 1 hour before home and hooking it up. my quick question is will the mini stay on all the time? i am really hoping so one of the reasons i bought this thing was so my 7 ios devices could sync and what have you at anytime without turning it on.

also i read the book that came with the mini and it says to follow the instructions to get my magic mouse and bt keyboard paired but i have seemed to have stored the instructions. anyone off the top of there head remember how they did theres?

The mini will be on unless you shut it down. Mine never is powered down as it is the hub for my iPad, and ATV2 libraries. Is this what you meant??

As far as the keyboard and mouse go, during setup it will show on screen what needs to happen for pairing. It only takes a second and is easy peasy!

Enjoy the mini goodness!;)

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Couple questions. how far away from are you guys able to be with a magic mouse? i am about 10 feet away and the mouse is pretty choppy. up close it works good. Also i have the mini connected to my 55in panny through hdmi (man setup was easy) the only thing i dont like is the squint factor. anyways i can make everything bigger without changing from 1080p? also i was watching hulu last night and when i click on full screen it leaves the bar up at the top. I dont remember this ever happening on my MBP but its pretty annoying. Anyone know how to change that too?

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
What the heck happen to the price of memory?

So back when i got my mini i never did upgrade it. It worked fine. Both my Apples still work fine. I kinda wanted to try Mavericks so i looked up how much it would be to upgrade to 8gb and its twice as much as 3 years ago.

what gives?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What the heck happen to the price of memory?

So back when i got my mini i never did upgrade it. It worked fine. Both my Apples still work fine. I kinda wanted to try Mavericks so i looked up how much it would be to upgrade to 8gb and its twice as much as 3 years ago.

what gives?

Have you checked OWC and Crucial?

- Other World Computing (OWC)
- Crucial

* Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check on eBay. Prices for the memory you need have gone up because it's not used very much and is scarce. You'll do better on eBay.

Last edited:
OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Crucial is 87.99. Must be because less people are buying the Memory that style or something.

I went back to find my old post to see what ram i needed. Figured nice 50 bucks back then will probably be 30 bucks right now.

Negative.

Right after i learn my system is only worth 150 bucks. So its gonna cost 90 bucks to upgrade a 150 dollar computer. Don't know if that is to smart.

Maybe another MM is in my future.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went back to find my old post to see what ram i needed. Figured nice 50 bucks back then will probably be 30 bucks right now.

Negative.

I have found that ram prices for older computers usually stay the same (at least for a while...years after they are no longer the current model). Ram prices for older computers (from what I've experienced) usually don't go down. Believe me...I have enough old Mac computers laying around that I've checked many times.;)

In fact...because older ram is probably manufacured in a more costly way with more costly parts (one reason why newer ram is less expensive is better manufacturing techniques & lower cost parts)...AND figure that older ram is in less demand. These are reasons to support higher prices for older ram.:(

Right after i learn my system is only worth 150 bucks. So its gonna cost 90 bucks to upgrade a 150 dollar computer. Don't know if that is to smart.

I usually do put some faith/trust in what Mac2Sell estimates for used Mac prices. But I have found a pretty big gap recently in the Mac2Sell estimates for 2009ish Mac-Mini's...and what they are selling for on eBay.

I've been sort of looking for a good deal on one of these 2009 core 2 duo Mac-Mini's. I think that these models are at the "sweet spot" currently...in terms of not being too old (plenty of horsepower left in them to be useful)...but old enough to be inexpensive.

The Mac2Sell estimates of $150 seem kind of low. When I look on eBay...I'm seeing $250-$300. If I could get one for $150...I definitely would!:)

- Nick

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
pigoo3,

Thank you for your response. I am not gonna lie i had a little bit of sticker price last night. What you said makes sense though.

I plan on renovating my front room into an office for my kids. I was gonna purchase a couple more minis for the renovation. Ill probably just upgrade the ram. Since the new mini's are gonna have the newest OS anyhow i want them all to run the same. Like i said before i really have loved that machine. Makes me feel better to put 90 bucks into something worth 300 for sure though.

Wait till you guys see my Apple themed office. It is gonna be epic!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.