2009 Macbook Pro 13 Screen Lag

Reaction score
I'm having some major problems with my Macbook Pro's screen. It seems as though the connection to the screen from the logic board is loose, and the connection is lost when the screen is placed at certain angles. It will pop up randomly, and I usually have to push the back of the screen on the right side towards me, AND push the screen away from me on the left side to get picture. I can also get a somewhat consistent picture by having pressure applied to the back of the screen.

I have already opened up my Macbook Pro and determined that the loose connection is not on the end connected to the logic board. I have yet to take out the glass screen and see if the connection is loose on the other end.

I have posted a video on Youtube of the problem. The problem has worsened (before, it would show up intermittently), but the problem varies from time to time. Sometimes, it's a little more or less difficult to find a good angle.

Macbook Pro Screen Problem - YouTube

I do not have Apple Care, and Apple is saying that I need a full screen replacement (simply because they don't want to fix the problem, they just want to replace the entire screen). I'd appreciate any responses, and I can provide more information if needed. Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem you're experiencing is usually caused by one or more cables that run from the logic board to the display being pinched or bent. As you can well imagine, the area which the cables are directed through is small since they snake up to the display through the hinge.

My suggestion is to go to iFixit: The free repair manual with your model number on hand and look up the take apart instructions for swapping out the display. That should give you some idea of how to go about repairing this yourself. It's not an easy repair though and you may want to have it done professionally. If you decide to have it done professionally, post back and we can give you some places where you can have it repaired at less cost than Apple.

OP
E
Reaction score
I might try and do the repair myself actually. I'm just a little anxious about popping off the glass screen (I've heard it's not the easiest thing to do). I know I need a couple of tools to get the screen off and get to the cable. I might also purchase a new cable (I've been checking them out on ebay) just in case the cable itself is faulty. If the DIY route doesn't work, then I might look into a professional repair. Do you have any places in particular that would be able to fix just the cable and not try to get me to replace the entire screen? Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The folks at Iresq.com are recommended. They also have an 800 number you can call and talk to a live person and get some idea of cost. Here is the LINK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.