Need memory upgrade for G5

C

carol_skinner

I just bought a Dual 2.3 GH2 G5 with a 23" Cinema Display - I live in the Republic of Panama and the computer (bought online from Amazon) arrived today. My question is - where is the best place (also online) to buy memory upgrade kits?

I am a digital artist and the lousy 512 that the G5 comes with is a joke - I've GOT to have more. The brand name and where to buy it would be most appreciated. Thanks. Carol

OP
C

carol_skinner

badmojo said:
Newegg.com, if they'll ship there.

Thanks - I'll check it out - I have a freight forwarder in Miami so shipping is no problem - it's just a regular domestic order. Carol

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your new system. :)

Reaction score
carol_skinner said:
Thanks - I'll check it out - I have a freight forwarder in Miami so shipping is no problem - it's just a regular domestic order. Carol

http://newegg.com does not ship "out of country, but if you have someone here that will re-ship there should be no problem. New Egg is a very good company, very reliable and they handle quality stuff and stand behind it. Their prices are very competive and many times the lowest around, so i would recommend at least checking them out.

I haven't been on their site for a while now, but at one time they had some Corsair 1 gig chips for about $95 and some Rosewell 1 gigs for about $85, both which work great in PowerMacs G5's 2.0, if the newer ones still use the same pc3200 then they will work for you too.

OP
C

carol_skinner

James said:
http://newegg.com

I haven't been on their site for a while now, but at one time they had some Corsair 1 gig chips for about $95 and some Rosewell 1 gigs for about $85, both which work great in PowerMacs G5's 2.0, if the newer ones still use the same pc3200 then they will work for you too.

No - it doesn't use the same PC 3200 - now it's PC2-4200. To quote Apple: Non ECC Power Mac G5s use: 533MH2 DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200). I want to start with 2 x 1GB.

I'm just an artist - I don't know a thing about all this - I just read what the manual says - and I am terrified of getting the wrong one - when I look at a website there are so many offered - and they all look so similar to my untrained eye. Maybe I should just buy it from the Apple store - can't go wrong there! What do you think?

Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Got mine from crucial. Newegg is also good.

Reaction score
carol_skinner said:
No - it doesn't use the same PC 3200 - now it's PC2-4200. To quote Apple: Non ECC Power Mac G5s use: 533MH2 DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200). I want to start with 2 x 1GB.

I'm just an artist - I don't know a thing about all this - I just read what the manual says - and I am terrified of getting the wrong one - when I look at a website there are so many offered - and they all look so similar to my untrained eye. Maybe I should just buy it from the Apple store - can't go wrong there! What do you think?

Carol

NO< NO< NO< Never buy ram from Apple, way overpriced usually...

Ah ha, they have moved to the PC2 stuff i see. Ok no problem there check out this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145525

This is Corsair ram. Good stuff I recommend it for the Mac, doubt if you will find to many at a lower price than this. I use Corsair in both of my Macs and have used them for years in my PC's too. $83.55 for a gig chip of quality ram is a good price.

Lifetime guarantee, and NewEgg is a quality vendor with good customer service.

OP
J

JonTheRvelator

James said:

Ah ha, they have moved to the PC2 stuff i see. Ok no problem there check out this one:

This is Corsair ram. Good stuff I recommend it for the Mac, doubt if you will find to many at a lower price than this. I use Corsair in both of my Macs and have used them for years in my PC's too. $83.55 for a gig chip of quality ram is a good price.

Lifetime guarantee, and NewEgg is a quality vendor with good customer service.

I'll be purchasing the quad 2.5 in the next few weeks is this decent ram for this?

OP
C

carol_skinner

James said:

See - I'm not such a dummy - I knew you computer savvy guys/gals would know what to do - I had the feeling Apple wasn't the way to go - the above link was just what I needed - many many thanks.

Apple: 2x1GB = $300, 4x1GB = $700, 8x1GB = $1200. Whoa - that is a LOT more!

Now - another question - how much do I need? At these prices I can get more than I had planned on.

Here's what I do. Check out my gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/carol_muse_skinner/digitalmuse

I am going to be getting an Epson Stylus Pro 7800 - 24" wide. That's the reason I got the more powerful Mac - I was freezing/crashing my eMac (2GB) with just medium sized files (9"x12' image about 30MB) Imagine what a 16" x 20" image is (about 85MB.) I use Photoshop, Corel Painter IX, Studio Artist 3.0 and Fo2pix Buzz ProX - on the same image!

I know the old adage - you can't be too rich, or too thin, or have too much RAM!

Carol

Reaction score
JonTheRvelator said:
I'll be purchasing the quad 2.5 in the next few weeks is this decent ram for this?

If it uses the same ram I would say yes. Corsair or Crucial you usually won't go wrong.

Reaction score
carol_skinner said:

Now - another question - how much do I need? At these prices I can get more than I had planned on.

I am going to be getting an Epson Stylus Pro 7800 - 24" wide. That's the reason I got the more powerful Mac - I was freezing/crashing my eMac (2GB) with just medium sized files (9"x12' image about 30MB) Imagine what a 16" x 20" image is (about 85MB.) I use Photoshop, Corel Painter IX, Studio Artist 3.0 and Fo2pix Buzz ProX - on the same image!

I know the old adage - you can't be too rich, or too thin, or have too much RAM!

Carol

For what your doing i would say buy 4 1 gig chips and see how that works for you. If you still have problems then add 2 more 1 gigs and if you still need more, replace those 2 256 chips with 2 1 gigs.

Hmmm... how many ram slots does your machine have and what is its top ram it can go to? Want to be sure i am figuring it right. If you have 2 banks of 4 remember you have to buy ram in pairs, one for each bank.

OP
C

carol_skinner

James said:
For what your doing i would say buy 4 1 gig chips and see how that works for you. If you still have problems then add 2 more 1 gigs and if you still need more, replace those 2 256 chips with 2 1 gigs.

Hmmm... how many ram slots does your machine have and what is its top ram it can go to? Want to be sure i am figuring it right. If you have 2 banks of 4 remember you have to buy ram in pairs, one for each bank.

8 is the max - I assume it is two banks of 4 - I haven't looked. I think I will go for 4 1 gig chips to start - and have room to grow later if need be. Thank you all so very much for your help - I really appreciate it. I have mac-forums on my bookmarks bar - always at the ready as I get used to this new computer.

Carol

Reaction score
carol_skinner said:

8 is the max - I assume it is two banks of 4 - I haven't looked. I think I will go for 4 1 gig chips to start - and have room to grow later if need be. Thank you all so very much for your help - I really appreciate it. I have mac-forums on my bookmarks bar - always at the ready as I get used to this new computer.

Carol

Good choice, i'm sure you will see a big difference when you get them in. 512 is simply not enough when you get to doing actual work, with 2 !/4 gigs in each bank it should boogie right along and you will have plenty of room for expansion if needed.

Good luck with your new system i know you will like it, i certainly do mine.

OP
S

supremeoverlord

Hey, I work in photoshop alot too, so I am wondering why your emac was biting the dust, I have one with 768mb in it and it never crashes or freezes and the only time it stalls when saving. If you had one of the older emacs I think that 2gigs will be more than enough as you would see a huge improvement over the emac with only 512mb anyway. Don't go overboard if you can't afford it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.