Powermac G5 1.6 upgrade

Reaction score
A friend recently gave me his Powermac G5 1.6ghz tower with 4GB ram. I already know the CPU cannot be upgraded, however that said I would like to toss in a whole new G5 motherboard with either a Dual processor, OR Dual CPU... but I wanted to stay with 2.3ghz or lower so I don't need the liquid cooling. I'd like to know if I purchased a G5 motherboard *with the proper CPU(s) for that board (say 2ghz), will it work? eg; Can I use the same 4GB ram in the current 1.6ghz machine, and power supply will be ok? And if the new board has AGP, can I re-use the 1.6's AGP video card?

Just to mention 2 things, I know some might ask why even spend the money on this older G5, but doing this is more for hobby. Also ripping apart the G5 I have no issues with, I'm a PC tech and do this all day long :) (and work on some macs)

Thanks in advance for any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first problem is finding a G5 logic board. The second problem is getting it at a decent price.

I've known folks paying as little as $150 for a Powermac G5 2.0ghz dual-cpu (pretty close to exactly looking for).

So for around $150-$200...you can get what you want without all of the swapping. If you can get the logic board you want for less than that...than maybe the logic board swap is the less expensive route. But I have a feeling that logic boards (with both cpu's & heat sinks) will cost more than you might think.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Looking on ebay, I found a seller selling the logic board for Dual 2ghz CPU $115, and the matching CPU's 2ghz w/heatsinks for $58 (each). This seems like a decent upgrade from the single 1.6 cpu, although before I pull the trigger I just want to make sure the PSU will work? since apple keeps things locked down.
I think I will also need to find the dual cpu ait duct with fans, since my 1.6 only has the single fan.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looking on ebay, I found a seller selling the logic board for Dual 2ghz CPU $115, and the matching CPU's 2ghz w/heatsinks for $58 (each). This seems like a decent upgrade from the single 1.6 cpu, although before I pull the trigger I just want to make sure the PSU will work? since apple keeps things locked down.
I think I will also need to find the dual cpu ait duct with fans, since my 1.6 only has the single fan.

If I understand thing's correctly we're talking:

- logic board $115
- two 2.0ghz cpu's & heatsinks for $116 ($58 each)

...grand total = $231

Now compare that price to this:

Apple Power Mac G5 2.0ghz/512/superdrive 160-HD Desktop - M9747LL/A | eBay

For the $175 "Buy It Now" price you get:

- Powermac G5 2.0ghz dual processor (complete 100% working unit)
- monitor
- keyboard & mouse

Why would you want to spend $231 on a bunch of parts???:Confused:

- Nick

p.s. By the way. That e-Bay deal I linked was the first decent one I found...I'm sure there are many more under $231. :)

And the e-Bay auction I linked also has a "Best Offer" option...so there's a good possibility that the seller would accept less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.