Networking MAC and XP issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Model Identifier: Mac Mini Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed:2.6
I have a 2 node network with an xp home and a snow leopard laptop. I was attempting to set up network printing via smb to the xp system with a usb printer attached and shared. I can ping from mac to windows but can't ping from windows to the mac. Both are DHCP configured to load from the router provider. Any ideas on why there is a one way only ping between them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ipad2 iphone4wht ipodtouch(3) ipodnano appletv
I'm going to take a shot here. Mac's work and Windows don't. Just kidding networking some printers can be a nightmare. First what kind of printer is it? Then make sure all the drivers are on both machines. I always hook the machine up using the usb cable first just to make sure it works and then network it over ip. Also the printer can drop the ip so check that you put the correct ip in the printer using its menu.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Model Identifier: Mac Mini Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed:2.6
Ahh..A Hawk fan eh? I'm not quite at the printer as a problem yet. It looks more like a network connectivity issue. When I ifconfig on the mac it shows an inet address of 192.168.0.1 that cannot be pinged from the xp. When I ipconfig on the xp it shows 192.168.0.2 as it's local address that is pinged just fine from the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you have the firewall configured? If so, do you have stealth mode enabled?

If so, this prevents ICMP functions.. such as ping.

If you do, try turning the firewall off (this is on the Mac) and see if you can set it up. If you can, it's a firewall setting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.