Connect MacBook Pro to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
1) My laptop is a MacBook Pro, 15 inch, processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DD3, purchased new in March 2011.
2) My TV is a 42 inch Vizio "3D Full Array LED LCD HDTV". The model number is XVT3D424SV. Here is the manual http://70.168.148.201/documents/downloads/hdtv/XVT3D424SV/1035UM_XVT3D424-474-553SV.pdf

I am trying to watch HBO Go on my TV. I am told by HBO Go and my provider DirecTV that the way to do that is stream to the MacBook while it is connected to the TV.

Vizio told me that the way to connect the MacBook to the TV is by HDMI or RGB cable.

So, my question is: I don't see an HDMI or RGB port on the MacBook, so I assume I need an adaptor? It is my understanding that HDMI is preferable to RGB (better picture), so I guess I would prefer to connect that way, if possible.

At Amazon.com I see a "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI" adaptor that "lets you connect a high definition monitor, projector, or LCD that uses a HDMI connector or cable to a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air with a mini DisplayPort".

Does my MacBook have a mini DisplayPort? If so, is that the device I should use to "transfer" the desktop display (HBO Go) to the TV screen?
Update: I think I do not have a mini DisplayPort. My ports, from left to right, are: Power, Ethernet, Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, USB, USB, SDXC card, audio in, audio out.

Thank you. Any help will be very much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
thunderbolt is also a MDP.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. I got a MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, and have connected the laptop to the television. At System Preferences>>Sound>>Output, I selected "HDMI", and the sound from the laptop plays on the television perfectly. But ...

... the only image that displays on the television is the laptop's Desktop (Andromeda Galaxy). When I open Safari, it does not display on the television. That is, the Desktop remains, but nothing else.

I think that somehow I have to instruct the MacBook to send the video out to the television in the same way that I instructed the MacBook to output the sound to the television. The question is, how do I do that? I assume the answer is at System Preferences, but browsing that, I could not find the answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Okay. I got a MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, and have connected the laptop to the television. At System Preferences>>Sound>>Output, I selected "HDMI", and the sound from the laptop plays on the television perfectly. But ...

... the only image that displays on the television is the laptop's Desktop (Andromeda Galaxy). When I open Safari, it does not display on the television. That is, the Desktop remains, but nothing else.

I think that somehow I have to instruct the MacBook to send the video out to the television in the same way that I instructed the MacBook to output the sound to the television. The question is, how do I do that? I assume the answer is at System Preferences, but browsing that, I could not find the answer.

once connected, go to system preferences and display. you should now see your TV recognised. simply click on it, and Voila.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
once connected, go to system preferences and display. you should now see your TV recognised. simply click on it, and Voila.

You may want to go read the item I have posted above also. There is no "Voila" here. His video is already working. There is the need to learn about mirrored mode and extended desktop mode and how to use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Bob, i understood the problem was not seeing the video i.e just the desktop as below:

I had the same problem and i did what i said above and it solved it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"once connected, go to system preferences and display. you should now see your TV recognized"

I did not see the television or "HDMI" or anything else unusual listed at SysPrefs>>Display, as I had at SysPrefs>>Sound, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

"You may want to read the item I have posted above"

The instructions at that post were perfect! I used the "Mirror" option, and it does just what I had hoped. I have printed that post re Mirror and Extended for future reference.

Thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stefanmaine, it may have been me that has misunderstood your question. At least for now Bob has sorted it out for you.

happy ending.

j

Reaction score
You may want to go read the item I have posted above also. There is no "Voila" here. His video is already working. There is the need to learn about mirrored mode and extended desktop mode and how to use them.

Thank you!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.