OSX Lion 10.7.2 HELP!!!! update huge problems

Reaction score
About a week ago, I decided to upgrade my OSX lion to the new OSX Lion 10.7.2, which was the WORST mistake I could have done. I own a macbook, that originally came loaded with Snow Leopard, and decided to upgrade to Lion, and now I am running 10.7.2. Ever since this upgrade, It has cause nothing but headaches!!!! I am a Med School Student and all my work is in this laptop, so this mac which I used to love and used to work so well has became a huge PAIN!!! I have three chief complaints, has anyone seem to have this kind of problems, or is it time to trash this lap top, and never by an apple laptop again?

First, my Internet does not work, Safari freezes when I click on it, And it always need to be force closed. Is this a virus or OSX Lion's software glitch?

Second, I cannot upload anything on safari or ANY browser, the only browser that seems to work for this new "upgrade" is Opera, but it cannot upload any files to any website.

Third, my fan seems to fail to shut, it is always on for some odd reason. It sounds as if it is on the verge of burning out, and it gets EXTREMELY hot!!! why is it call a Lap Top if it burns your Lab? wouldn't it be counter intuitive to place a device meant for you to hold on your lap to burn your lap?

If anyone has had similar experiences? has anyone figured out any FIXES to these problems ?
:Lips-Are-Sealed:
-AG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
No to all and have you tried doing a repair disk permissions ?
I would also pull up activity monitor and find out what is running in the background
or seems to be with your description of fan speed and heat.
some of the things that cause poor performance are not enough free space on the hard drive and not enough ram the activity monitor will show high page in /out if this is the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
why is it call a Lap Top if it burns your Lab? wouldn't it be counter intuitive to place a device meant for you to hold on your lap to burn your lap?

Just a note on this. From the users guide for the Macbook Pro (the Macbook's identical in this section)

Apple said:
Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook Pro in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn.

I agree with the previous poster, there's something using a lot of processor time from the sounds of it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? There are quite a few people on here who believe they saw much better performance after a clean install.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First, my Internet does not work, Safari freezes when I click on it, And it always need to be force closed. Is this a virus or OSX Lion's software glitch?
It's not a virus and you wouldn't be the first with Safari issues around here. Download it here and reinstall.

Second, I cannot upload anything on safari or ANY browser, the only browser that seems to work for this new "upgrade" is Opera, but it cannot upload any files to any website.
See the first comment. As for Opera, I use it regularly and aside from the odd quirk, it works well. Any particular site causing you problems?

Third, my fan seems to fail to shut, it is always on for some odd reason. It sounds as if it is on the verge of burning out, and it gets EXTREMELY hot!!! why is it call a Lap Top if it burns your Lab? wouldn't it be counter intuitive to place a device meant for you to hold on your lap to burn your lap?
This is not normal. If you did however just do an upgrade, it could be that Spotlight is reindexing which not only takes a while but will use quite a bit of resources. Do you see a pulsing dot in the Spotlight icon in the menu bar?

OP
A
Reaction score
How much ROM is declared insufficient? and I have tried running disk permission in utilities, however no luck. I have also tried to reinstall safari, but it does not allow me to reinstall it just freezes, Most of my programs are freezing on me such as Words and Excel. And I have also noticed my Battery draining faster than usual. Thank you guys for helping me out, I was a little grouchy this morning because I had a report due and I was frustrated that I couldn't upload my research paper, or mount my data to my flash drive without having freezes. I feel that my mac is gradually getting worst, first it began not connecting to my school's wifi, It turns out a lot of people had the same issue, so they recommended Opera. It was because keychain was having problems, and to top it off i could not fix the keychain issue because my mac will not allow me to open the program, just like safari, once i attempt the spinning beach ball appears and my it freezes.

OP
A
Reaction score
I also upgraded, and did not do a clean install, I just saw that "upgrade is available" and I clicked on it, now my lap top is being stubborn.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It wouldn't be a bad idea to do a clean install and see if that improves your performance. Which macbook do you have?

OP
A
Reaction score
I have the early black early 2008 MacBook 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 duo. I've had this thing for a while now I used to love the battery life of 4-6hrs that it used to have, and the speed and look of the mac. But lately its been acting up :Angry: ...Is there an easy way to back up all data docx and ODT, xls, and Jpg data? Im thinking of doing a clean install.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
3 options

Time Machine
SuperDuper!
CarbonCopyCloner

And an external drive - if you don't already have your data backed up, you're only asking to have it all lost.

Reaction score
I also have similar problems with this update. My laptop freezes all the time now. It get hot and fan starts running high. My outlook stopped working and i had rebuild identity twice. My mack is brand new and now I hate it...:Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your Mac is brand new it should be running Mountain Lion, not Lion. How about telling us which Mac you have (year and model) and the version of OS X it's running?

Reaction score
I purchased my macbook pro a few month ago and it came with Mac OS X Lion. It has 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory. I installed the latest 10.7.5 update a couple of days ago. So far the heating and fan problems a gone but it keeps freezing at least once a day.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you checked the Console logs to see what is happening at the time? There may be something other than Lion contributing to the problem.

BTW I had some issues getting the 10.7.5 update installed. Upon reboot the Mac wold hang for thirty minutes or more at a time. I finally chased the issue down to two things:

1. The initial download appears to not have downloaded/ installed properly.
2. Lack of sufficient free space on the boot drive. Even when the Mac would boot there was quite a bit of erratic behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.