Strange Font Problem

Reaction score
Hi, i recently changed over from Windows to Mac.

I do a lot of web design and therefore fonts are very important to me.

I have copied over a lot of fonts that i need to my mac, however i have opened a few designs that i designed in Photoshop and Photoshop is having problems with the some fonts as follows:

Problem 1
Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output. Do you want to update these layers now?

Why do certain fonts need to be updated... i see that some of these fonts are Verdana and it was already pre-installed on my mac, but why does it need to update them... is it a Photoshop problem or an actual mac font problem

Problem 2
In addition, some text layers contain fonts that are missing. These layers will need to have the missing fonts replaced before they can be used for vector based output. These layers will not be updated.

I can understand this

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me with this as it is holding my work up, thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a Mac problem. The fonts which are pre-installed in OS X are ready to be used with applications. If anything, it's a Photoshop requirement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If any one font is missing then Photoshop will give you the update layers prompt

Any layers will be updated and can be edited later, either by selecting a different version of the font or a different font, when you edit the layer.

On another note, if you are using a lot of fonts then I wouldn't recommend Apple's FontBook as a font manager.

Linotype FontExplorer X Download - Softpedia

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide to best font practices in OS X (the guide is free)

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X - 6th Edition (updated: Oct. 2009)

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.