• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Despite new CPU options, Apple reportedly questioning future of Mac Pro

Reaction score
Despite new CPU options, Apple reportedly questioning future of Mac Pro

Despite the coming availability of a new generation of Sandy Bridge desktop CPUs suitable for advancing Apple's Mac Pro line, the company has reportedly been evaluating whether to continue to invest in furthering its full-sized workstation line beyond this year in the face of limited sales.

pixel
evnt

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I don't think its just Apple friends in the retail business say laptops and tablets are 95% of their sales in the computer departments .

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
drop the price and ill buy loads of them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with Rob. The Mac Pro is a fantastic work horse but obviously geared more toward professionals. It's a big investment which is probably why sales have been lagging.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
drop the price and ill buy loads of them.

I have to agree with Rob. The Mac Pro is a fantastic work horse but obviously geared more toward professionals. It's a big investment which is probably why sales have been lagging.

I'm with you both. I'll buy a few as well if the price does drop. :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have been promising myself a Mac Pro after the next update, so I hope they go ahead with at least one more release. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I guess Apple planning to completely abandon the creative professional crowd should have been obvious after trying to pass off iMovie Pro as a new version of Final Cut Pro. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Maybe, if they built something that was more tailored for doing work and less with aesthetics, they could introduce a model that was more affordable. This tank uses so much aluminum...I would not mind if they used less of it to drop the price of materials and manufacturing. They should also drop the expensive Xeons. The new i7 series is a fine replacement, and can be cheaper.

The problem I notice is that there is no real reason for media users to spend the min $2500 when they can go the h@######sh route with a cheaper and more powerful setup that is easily customizable if need be...sad truth. I actually know a lot of people who do that in design(for Mac Pro alternatives).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Doesn't sound surprising. Many people can't justify the prices of Mac Pros anymore when they can make small sacrifices to get one of the new, more capable iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd be disappointed - personally, I like the flexibility and power the Mac Pro has to offer. If I want an internal blu-ray burner, I can get one. If I want or need multiple internal drives, I can get it (and for a lot less then a thunderbolt array that I don't necessarily need); If I want USB 3, I can get it; if I want a high end graphics card for gaming, I can get it. If I want eSata, I can get it; etc., etc., etc.

I understand that a lot of people use an iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook or Macbook Pro - but abandoning the flexibility of the Mac Pro is IMHO a poor choice. The price of the Mac Pro is what pushes away potential buyers - I know the technology in them is expensive (xeons have never been cheap, even custom built xeon boxes are pricey and the ram they require (ECC Buffered, can't get away from it with xeon) is expensive, the chipsets are pricey, etc.). They probably more need to re-think the design of it (maybe a dual processor i7 design instead of xeons?) to offer it in a better price range like $2500 - 5K max instead of the huge spread of like $2500 - $19K max.

But it seems that Apple wants to focus on consumer level so they will probably phase out the mac pro entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Desktop towers at a Mac price are hard to justify. Admittedly - if you buy a supported Windows system they are about the same price - but if you build your own desktop it is half the price for the same components. If I needed the fastest thing out there - I would build a windows/linux desktop - instead of the Mac. That being said, building isn't for everyone - and the aforementioned hack has its own set of quirks - which IMHO negate a lot of the benefits of going to a Mac.

Ultimately, just like everyone else, I've been buying laptops - my last 3 purchases have been laptops - and the only desktop I am considering is a Mac Mini Server for a media/vpn server

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'd rather just see them focus that energy on squeezing more horsepower into the iMacs - I think my days of using a tower are done. I'd be curious to know just how many Mac Pros Apple has sold over the last 2 years - it has to be just a tiny fraction of overall Mac sales, I would guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'd rather just see them focus that energy on squeezing more horsepower into the iMacs - I think my days of using a tower are done. I'd be curious to know just how many Mac Pros Apple has sold over the last 2 years - it has to be just a tiny fraction of overall Mac sales, I would guess.
Your logic is fine, but you won't see hardcore graphic designer/media designers using iMac...which is why everyone is having a problem with this news. For media users, the screen in any iMac is not up to par with the quality levels to depict actual colors, which is something that a tower allows to you to do by using your own screen. The Mac Pro was never designed for regular users that could do fine with a Mac Mini, which is what a iMac truly is with the exception of a better gpu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.