external hard drives for iPad.

Reaction score
I am going traveling for quite a long time and will be taking my iPad with me. I have found only one external hard drive for the iPad but it costs $399 for a 1Tb. Is apple going to be bringing out and external hard drive small enough to use for travel. I might have to change to another tablet if I can't find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you talking about the hyperdrive?
HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive
You could get the driveless case - and just put in your own drive. That is $99 for the case - and I've searched google and a cursory scan seems to put a 2.5" 1TB drive at around $100 - so that would be $200 for putting a drive in yourself vs paying hypershop to put a drive in for you.

I wouldn't expect Apple to do anything - they are pushing for Cloud storage.

OP
C
Reaction score
could you explain this process in a little more detail for someone who is not very techy? What drive would I get to put in the case? Any and all help would be much appreciated and make my life much easier.
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
They make a case only option
HyperDrive Hard Drive for iPad (casing only)

Then you buy a hard drive such as this
MK1059GSM Toshiba 2.5in 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive 5400 RPM 8MB Cache-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
(You are looking for a 2.5" 1TB SATA - if you want to google it)

Basically - you plug the hard drive in - and bolt the case around it - it isn't a very hard procedure - but you can call up hypershop and let them talk you through it if you aren't that comfortable building stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (mid 2011), MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), iPad 2, iPhone 5s. all with latest OS
How do you connect the ext hdd to the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
The same way you plug the charger in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.