Mac OS Lion and WiFi

Reaction score
I worked in the IT Department with a university, and lately we've been getting a lot of calls from students who can't access the login page to the wireless network. So far, I've only seen this with 10.7.2. All users have said that they've been able to access it prior, but once they installed the recent software update, they haven't been able to receive the login page. Safari just spins and never redirects to the login, while other browsers like Firefox and Chrome display errors. Users have full connection with IP address.

I've looked around on some of the other posts and someone recommended resetting the SMC and PRAM, which we did on our test machine and it worked. But after waiting for a few hours to try to connection again, it did the same thing after restarting: no login page redirection.

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would say something changed in the latest Safari except you say that Chrome and FF do the same thing. Do all other pages go in and it's just the login page for your network that is not working?

I can't see what in OSX itself could have changed to make one page not work unless it's some setting in the firewall.

Reaction score
Same Problem

Hej Guys, first post :p

I'm having the same problem signing into my university wifi both at the student housing and on campus. This is happening at both the universities that I am studying at Uppsala and Stockholm in Sweden. It has been an issue since I got lion on day one. If I connect using the ethernet there is no issue, but with the wifi it just tries to load the page continuously. I left it over night and it actually did come to the login page eventually, but this is just ridiculous. If the Time Capsule remains on there is no issue, but in the event of a reboot this happens.

I have been looking for a solution for a long time and its doing my head it.

/svenskdod

OP
K
Reaction score
We found a fix!

Disable WiFi by turning the airport off. Restart. Then, open Keychain Access in Applications > Utilities. Go to preferences in the Keychain menu. Select Certificates, then switch both OCSP and CRL to Off. Close Keychain and close all other programs that may be running. Restart the machine again.

Turn the WiFi back on and select the wireless network. You should be able to hit a login page at this point.

Reaction score
We found a fix!

Disable WiFi by turning the airport off. Restart. Then, open Keychain Access in Applications > Utilities. Go to preferences in the Keychain menu. Select Certificates, then switch both OCSP and CRL to Off. Close Keychain and close all other programs that may be running. Restart the machine again.

Turn the WiFi back on and select the wireless network. You should be able to hit a login page at this point.

I have been having the same problem at my university since I upgraded Lion for the iOS 5 release. The University say I should contact Apple as the most recent Lion upgrade has bugs in it (whatever that means) and Apple say there is nothing wrong with the Lion update but that the issue is with the wifi infrastructure at uni. Thank you sooo much for this fix! :D I tried it and I have been able to access wifi at university again. However it does not seem to be permanent as every day I am having to perform the same routine you listed above. It's better than nothing, but I wonder if there is any way to make this permanent?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.