• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What kind of books do you like to read?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I do not usually read books that are written on paper anymore, because technology is so good now, we do not need a book, it is all in ereaders. And the iPhone and the internet.

But What kind of books are you planning on reading, or that you like to read? I am thinking of getting the "Steve Jobs" book on iBooks for my iPhone.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I guess people do not care about books these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
I read quite a bit on my ipad and wanted to mention a side note. I always check either amazon or kobo for ebooks before resorting to ibooks. This is simply because in almost all cases you can find books at a reduced cost on amazon/kobo compared to ibooks and you don't have to sacrifice any of the reader features from using the amazon or kobo app.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
I've been wanting to read this one for a while. Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain Eventually I'll probably break down and buy it or maybe my fiance will buy it for Christmas

+1, Eagleman does a good job of exploring the neuroscience behind consciousness and behaviour through experiments and examples without overloading readers with overly-complex neural mechanisms. As a bonus he's a really nice, down to earth guy :)

If your into these kind of books i can certainly give more examples as i am currently completing my masters in neuroscience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I've been wanting to read this one for a while. Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain Eventually I'll probably break down and buy it or maybe my fiance will buy it for Christmas

Thanks for the tip, I'll put that on my wish list :Mischievous:

Myself, I really need to get down to the Bookshop, but the town I live in has lost its last one (turning into a cultural black hole), but I will be interested in seeing what people recommend, since I am at a loss at the moment.

Often I like serendipidy, just wandering in to a real bookshop and just picking up something that looks interesting.

As for genres:
Fiction
Any good novel
Magical reallity
Science Fiction
Humour

Non fiction
History
Science
Satire
Current affairs (not the celebrity kind) ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Often I like serendipidy, just wandering in to a real bookshop and just picking up something that looks interesting.

This is how i play the game now days. i liken it to trying to decide what im going to eat for dinner.
It all depends how i feel on the day.
Was into the Raymond. E. Fiest Magician series, but as i have grown older but not necessarily wiser, i have lent towards the Biographies and the such. So i think the Steve Jobs new biography will be on my reading wish list now.
Have to admit the way the world is going now, i hardly have time to bunker down and turn a few pages. Trying to find a hour in the day is getting harder IMHO

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I hate to admit it, but by the end of the day my brain has turned to jello (combination of getting up too early, going to bed too late and coffee wearing off). So, when I read I don't tend to want to concentrate so I end up rereading a lot of books (fiction and nonfiction).

Right now I am considering reading the Hobbit again (have lost count of how many times this will be). If I do, will probably do the LOTR trilogy as well. Or, I might go for Ivanhoe . . . I've only read that one four or five times. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Got a little bit of everything between me and the wife like Sun Conures, Steve's Biography, couple of computer related books, lots of cooking,gardening and health and then theres sic-fi along with science.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Right now I am considering reading the Hobbit again (have lost count of how many times this will be). If I do, will probably do the LOTR trilogy as well. Or, I might go for Ivanhoe . . . I've only read that one four or five times. ;)

Last time I read the hobbit I got hungry, and tried to to the Hobbit breakfast thing, as described in the first chapter, must do it again sometime. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last time I read the hobbit I got hungry, and tried to to the Hobbit breakfast thing, as described in the first chapter, must do it again sometime. ;)

That's not a bad idea at all! :)

Actually, I've changed my mind and am going to reread David Weber's "Oath of Swords". But, that doesn't mean I can't try the Hobbit breakfast while doing it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That's not a bad idea at all! :)

Actually, I've changed my mind and am going to reread David Weber's "Oath of Swords". But, that doesn't mean I can't try the Hobbit breakfast while doing it. :D

Never ever turned a single page of The Hobbit (yes i know its sacrilege). Whats this breakfast you speak of ?? ;) Is is a Grass topped with wild walnuts or something lol

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never ever turned a single page of The Hobbit (yes i know its sacrilege). Whats this breakfast you speak of ?? ;) Is is a Grass topped with wild walnuts or something lol

Cheers

I don't have a copy with me right now to quote from, so I'll have to let Louis answer fully, but no it isn't grass and walnuts. . . more like sausages and eggs and cakes, etc (actually a lot of etc). ;)

The Hobbits were very fond of eating (and apparently so was Tolkien who wrote the books). And then again apparently so are Louis and I. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Not really a huge book guy, still in high school so most of my reading is done in English class.

Been considering picking up the Steve Jobs biography though, seems like a nice read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Little of both non-f and fiction.

Brian Greene is a great read, he has three non fiction works. Has been mentioned a lot on the Discovery channel and even had a cameo on The Big Bang Theory.
Fabric of the Cosmos,
Elegant Universe,
The Hidden Reality,
..and just checking his website apparently he has a fiction book maybe? Icarus something, but all of his non-fictions are aimed at no physics background folks.

The Disappearing spoon was also good nonfiction.

In the past year i read a book titled Uranium.. the history of the element.. wow that sounds really lame.

The only current fiction stuff that I have enjoyed were Dan Brown's books (references to anti-matter get me all fuzzy inside). I really tried hard to read a few of David Foster Wallace's works but **** they are difficult to get through.. never made it.

Other than that, my belt has a few classics notched off on it...
Red Badge of Courage, Frankenstein, Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit 451, and a couple of other ones by stephen crane (red badge guy..)

As for electronic books, i don't have an iPad so i have not got into the ebook phenom. Mainly because they are too freaking expensive.. most of the books i have read are all available on half.com at like 7$ plus S&H max and i mean MAX.. most are like 1$.. I am not one of those 'i need to FEEL a book in my hand' kind of people. But i like to feel my money in my pocket after reading the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ones with words, on paper.

Seriously. Probably about 20 8' bookshelves in the house, not a one that's less than double stacked. Fiction, classics (as in Dante, Homer, etc), biographys, philosophy, history, art history, books on design, aesthetics, countless photography books, even good old pulp dime paperbacks. I read, voraciously... and despite having a kindle in the house, I think that things got 3 books on it (and they're kids books).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
i am a crime and thriller man myself..and it has to be on paper every time..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Christian novels here. My current favorite author is Joel Rosenberg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Christian novels here. My current favorite author is Joel Rosenberg.

had to look this chap up, Science Fiction novelist. Do you read Philip K ****?

EDIT: sorry, the auto editor kicked in there... wonder if i can do it this way, d.i.c.k.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I read plenty of tutorial books for music, computer and safety certifications.
The certification books are pretty dry reading but will pay off nicely in the end after I test. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.