New 13" MBP Vs. Refurbished 15" MBP

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a MPB, probably today. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to decide between a 13" late 2011 release MBP (2.8ghz dual core processor, 4 GB ram, 4mb cache, 750 mb HDD, integrated graphics) and a 15" MBP from early 2011 (2.0ghz quad core, 500gb HDD, 4 GB RAM, 6mb cache, Intel HD Graphics 30005 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with automatic graphics switching. 256MB GDDR5 graphics memory.) . My main question is which will be faster, the 13" with the 2.8 ghz dual core, or the 15" with the 2.0 ghz quad core? Which computer is likely to remain relevant for longer, because I don't plan on updating anytime soon. I will be doing web browsing, word processing, music recording with garage band and possible other programs, and DJaying with Virtual DJ. The two laptops are the same price because I'm using the education discount on the new 13" and the refurb is discounted already. Which one would you go with for my needs and which processor do you think is better and will remain relevant for longer? Thanks!

OP
G
Reaction score
Please help guys! I've got them both sitting here on my screen in two seperate tabs waiting on your response to check out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Either would be sufficient for your needs. The 15 would probably "be faster" but i doubt you would notice any difference. For me, the 15 inch provides more screen real estate which is a plus for me.

I expect both of them would be considered "obsolete" within 3 years, but that's how it goes with any computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would get the 15" if the larger size (15" display) and it's higher price is not an issue.

- Nick

Reaction score
In terms of specs, they are going to be pretty similar in day to day use, in fact you may see no difference at all. Only time you'll notice a big difference is gaming or graphics-intensive tasks where the better GPU in the 15" will help a lot.

Really, it comes down to the 13" is fairly portable, while the 15" is not. If you use it more at home on your desk and portability isn't an issue, then the extra screen real estate is quite nice. Also you have the option of anti-glare with the 15". But if you travel a fair amount or work outside your home, you may want the 13".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.