Anyone used Permute or Handbrake to convert videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
How efficient do you find them for converting between file formats?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It depends on the format and what quality you want.
I use Handbrake for encoding Bluray for example, but if you just want to change avi to mpeg for example, there are easier ways.
If you can give more detail of what you want to do, we can advise better.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
It depends on the format and what quality you want.
I use Handbrake for encoding Bluray for example, but if you just want to change avi to mpeg for example, there are easier ways.
If you can give more detail of what you want to do, we can advise better.

Well I didn't realize this forum doesn't allow discussion fo converting store bought dvd's but then I realized that most of my needs are for older movies that are no longer under copywrite.

For example, I have a lot of old school 70's kung-fu movies at home on the computer that I'd like to convert over to watch on the ps3 or to load up on my ipad....I believe they're usually in divx quality. And before anyone says anything, I think a large portion of them are already in teh public domain.

Basically, most of my converting though is just to convert files to ps3 or ipad/iphone format so I don't have to sit at the computer and watch. So I guess whatever the best program is for doing that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well I didn't realize this forum doesn't allow discussion fo converting store bought dvd's but then I realized that most of my needs are for older movies that are no longer under copywrite.

And before anyone says anything, I think a large portion of them are already in teh public domain.

Even old Hollywood movies made in the 20s and 30s are not in the public domain. Unless the original copyright holder releases those 70s Kung Fu movies to the public domain, they're not freely available for copying.

End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.