PowerMac not booting

Reaction score
hi
a few days ago i posted regarding my PowerMac not having anything on the display. i replaced the video card, but no dice.

after further inspection, i realized that the machine is not actually booting up properly. when i power it on using the on button, it makes the typical surge but then not much else. no chime, no hard drive spinning- well maybe a little spinning, but then it just sits there.

i can not eject the CD drive, using the C or eject key. i assumed if i found the install disk i could at least boot it from there. i am hoping there is another solution to booting from the CD drive? or is that not an option?

is it the HD which is bad, or the motherboard? what should be my next course of action?

thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You have to find out why you're not getting the startup chime. Even a Mac with a bad hard drive or no hard drive will still give off a startup chime.

And if something is wrong with the computer (other than a bad HD or bad Cd/dvd drive)...you will get the "bad" startup chime.

How much ram is in it (how many slots & how many of the slots are filled?

Also...what the heck Powermac model Mac do you have? Do you realize that if I took the time to count...there's probably close to 100 different Powermac models!!!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Nick-
i recently upgraded an additional 2GB, at least 4 months ago, from Crucial- so i hope its good stuff. i have total 3GB in the machine

yes tell me about it, i have a hard time figuring out exactly what we've got whenever i need a manual or how-to. here's the serial #2L40609BQXD, its one of the original Virginia Tech supercomputers. we got it off ebay eons ago!

any help is appreciated!

cesar

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.