Alternative way to boot off of installation disk.

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am servicing a 1GHz PowerPC G4 for a friend who is running Mac OS X 10.4.11. For software reasons, they want to upgrade their OS. I have a Mac OS X Lion 10.7 retail install dvd. The problem I am running to is booting off of the DVD. I know that I would need to hold down the command or C key on boot to access the disk. However, their original hardware keyboard is defunct and they are using a GE Bluetooth keyboard. As you may know, this type of keyboard will not be useable until the drivers are loaded by the desktop, thus leaving me unable to use these commands on boot. I am unable to install off the DVD tru the the OS with an error stating it can not be loaded off this version of the OS.I am wondering if there are other methods that I might do. Perhaps there is a way with a script/terminal to tell tell the Mac to boot off of the disk on boot. Any help would be great. And no, I do not have a standard USB keyboard with me. I would have to travel a while to obtain one, but if need, I will have to.

Thank you for any and all support.

- GPK ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Insert the dvd while the mac is running.

Go to the System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the install DVD

Reboot with the instal disk still in

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
G
Reaction score
Well that explains alot. Thanks for all of the help. I now need to figure out what version of the OS X I can run on this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Leopard OS X.5.8 is the latest for PowerPC machines. Look for a black retail install DVD and do not buy any of the silver/grey model specific discs which about on eBay.

Current prices are between $100n and $150, more than when brand new. Apple no longer sell the Leopard discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.