Airport Express - extreme frustration

Reaction score
From the apple website:AirPort Express: How to join an existing wireless network in client mode (AirPort Express: How to join an existing wireless network in client mode).

Using AirPort Setup Assistant

1. Plug AirPort Express into a power outlet.
2. On your computer, join the wireless network created by AirPort Express.

Well, no. No network is created. What next?

I was seduced by the offer of 'plug and play' simplicity. Plug and spend hours of frustration, more like. I know that dissatisfaction with Apple's AirPort Express is well-rehearsed in this forum, but none of the solutions offered have worked for me. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Trev
:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Assuming the device is brand new out of box.

Is your AE connected any cables?
What is the indicator light color?
What computer and OS are you using?

Not that you should have to, but reseting the AE to factory defaults would at least level the playing field. Depress the reset switch and hold it in while the device is plugged into the wall for 30 seconds.
The default network name created by AE's (or any Apple WIFI device) will be something like Base Station and the last 6 digits of its MAC address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
To add to what is already said sometimes there is incompatibility with certain routers
more info please what service (provider)?
What kinda modem/ router ?
Is everything using the same encryption WPA2 preferred ?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your replies. I have tried resetting the Airport Express, but no luck. I think the problem may be my six year old router with WPA-824 or WPA-WPSK security. I will try again when I've upgraded.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.