20 iPads to main Mac Wireless Network

Reaction score
Hello [newbie to site]

I'm looking into the possibility of a wireless network of 20 iPads connected to a main desktop Mac machine, something that could be used in a classroom or office presentation.

I need to address 2 important issues.

1. could the display of selected iPads be switched off via the main Mac?

2. could the content (pdf's/images/graphics) be locked? to prevent the iPad users accessing other material.

I'll probably need to highlight more questions when they arise but these ones are the most important, I bet this networking idea has been addressed before in something like a classroom or business presentation so any links or pointers in the right direction will be HUGELY appreciated.

Many Thanks
P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.) NO
2.) You can use MAC filtering for the internet browser or turn the router off .
The content is consumed by apps so only the apps you load on it with an
iTunes account.
You can load what you deem by selecting each available area what to sync.

OP
P
Reaction score
cheers for quick feedback

Ideally the iPads can be either ALL showing content or ALL switched off via the person using the main Mac.

I'd also need to have security over the content being displayed, i.e if i were display a pdf document over the iPad network the person holding/using the iPad would not be able to view other pages by themselves (the iPad is merely a viewing device)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
cheers for quick feedback

Ideally the iPads can be either ALL showing content or ALL switched off via the person using the main Mac.

I'd also need to have security over the content being displayed, i.e if i were display a pdf document over the iPad network the person holding/using the iPad would not be able to view other pages by themselves (the iPad is merely a viewing device)

i think that many iPads you will need a wireless router not sure you can join that many on a Mac making it a router if you are talking internet.
The only way to switch the pad off is each pad individually by switch there is no remote command I know of other than wipe when stolen then it would have to be reloaded each time.

It would probably help if you went to the Apple Store and looked at how and what you can do with it for classroom and get all the ins and outs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You could try WebEx or gotomeeting. Those services are designed specifically for what you want to do. My company uses WebEx all the time to present information to various devices. Works well on iPhones and iPads.

There is idea flight for iPad to iPad.
Idea Flight | Get your ideas off the ground

Otherwise - I haven't seen anything ad-hoc like you describe work - too many connections, and the security is suspect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.