Move home folder to seperate partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
Well the title says it all really,

Just installed Tiger, have decided to be organised and made a "system" partition for OS and apps and a "data" partition for documents & data etc. So I need to move my home folder to the data partition.

I tried changing the home path in netinfo manager as suggested on one site, but it didn't work?! It just created a new user folder called "shared" instead?!

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...an update! I've had some success already

What I did was copy my User's HOME folder to the "data" partition, then used netinfo to change my home folder's path to the place on the 2nd partition where I pasted my home folder. I logged out, and back in! Voila! It worked!

Not 100% sure if I can safely trash the now redundant copy of my user folder on my "system" partition - anyone know the situation on this?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help!!!

GRRR!!!!...this hasn't worked too well after all! The desktop didn't relocate with the rest of the home folder.

I was getting a blank desktop. Stuff was downloading to the desktop on the system partition, but the desktop being displayed was the empty one on the 2nd partition!

Any help, anyone, please?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I would imaging that you would have trouble modifying a logged in user. all of this moving and path modifyinng should be done as root.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.