Three stage iPhone battery charging cycle

Reaction score
The prevailing advice seems to be to let the iPhone deep-discharge a few times a year in order to promote a longer lifespan (not a longer single use charge). That's one question I haven't settled in my mind yet, but the main point of my post is this:

Can iPhone battery utility apps control a 3-stage charging cycle of an iPhone battery, and if so, would that kind of charging strategy be effective in extending the overall life span of an iPhone battery? Apparently the idea is that a 3-stage charging cycle can be used to do a full charge when the battery's charge gets very low. For lead-acid batteries in vehicles, a smart charger does a fast charge at a high voltage to clean the plates, a middle voltage charge to get to 100%, and then a lower voltage maintenance voltage trickel charge. How (or does) a 3-stage charging cycle work on iPhone batteries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I don't think completely running out your lithium battery on your iPhone is recommended at all.

The discharge process that I think you refer to is a calibration process used by lap-tops to fine tune their capacity indicator and /or could be referring to the older nickel based batteries and associated memory effect.

The iPhone battery is not suited to full discharge and will perform better at partial discharge between 20%-30% and more frequent charges.

I use the Battery Doctor App once a month to do the 3 stage process once a month from just less than 20% capacity .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 5 64g, iPad 3G 32g, MacBook Air 256 SSD, 27'' iMac i3 & Apple TV v2.
I don't think completely running out your lithium battery on your iPhone is recommended at all.

Ok, sorry to raise an old post, but I've always heard conflicting advice on this.
Do we not accept what Apple advises as the best way to go?

See the bottom of the page:

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Others thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated! ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Ok, sorry to raise an old post, but I've always heard conflicting advice on this.
Do we not accept what Apple advises as the best way to go?

See the bottom of the page:

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Others thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated! ��

I don't :Mischievous: Marketing copywriters and technical proof-readers can mis-interpret and get things wrong occasionally and this is a classic example. The writer of that piece of 'advice' doesn't seem to know what a charge cycle actually is, let alone the implications of running a lithium ion battery completely flat.

Have a look at this link and then make your mind up. I had a similar debate with some mates at the golf club about sealed lead acid batteries as well, and the same misconceptions abounded there. It was Nickel based batteries that had the issue of 'memory effect' etc etc etc and not Lithium.

Compare the number of potential charge cycles expected between 100% depth of discharge (DoD) and 25% DoD.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.