how do I make an external OS X hard drive with OS X 10, 10.6, and 10.7?

Reaction score
I see at the genius bar they have an external hard drive they can boot into one of three versions of Mac OS X. And I made my external firewire HD bootable with Mac OS X Lion So I may run iDefrag and other utilities on the Mac's at the company I work for. We also have a few mac's that have PPC so they need 10.5, and some with 10.6. I was wondering how may I run all three on my external (I have the discs to install them on my Mac. Do I just install each one on the external. Or do I partition the drive to 3 pieces and have it installed to each partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll need to partition the drive into three separate partitions and install each version of OS X individually. My advice is to install Lion first as it also creates a recovery partition for itself that's hidden. After you're through, test each by booting from them one by one.

OP
J
Reaction score
did it.

Ok I did that... Now is there any way i can install the older OS X from my own Mac seeing as my Mac came with Core i5. And everytime I try to boot the mac from DVD i get a black screen with white letters of the system information... telling me to reboot.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
To install the sex act same OS version that is on your Mac you need to "clone" the content from your internal drive to the external drive. You could use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Disk Utility will also work for this process. ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac Check the section on Restoring Data.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
J
Reaction score
To install the sex act same OS version that is on your Mac you need to "clone" the content from your internal drive to the external drive. You could use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Disk Utility will also work for this process. ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac Check the section on Restoring Data.

Not what I am talking about. I am talking how do i Install an older version OS X on my OS X lion laptop to an external firewire hard drive, that has 3 partitions already made, with OS X lion on one. I just need to know how do I install the others as the DVD doesn't work right.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Oops that's the kind of typo you get when typing on the iPad.

@OP I see what you mean now. If you are installing a version of the OS that precedes what was on your Mac cloning will not work. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use an external DVD drive if the current internal isn't working.

The one thing to keep in mind is each partition will be limited in terms of which Mac it will be able to boot. A Mac that shipped with Lion for example will probably not boot from Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.