imac g5 software upgrade help

Reaction score
help help help........i am so sick of this computer i am ready to toss it. I bought mac for security reasons...my children are beginning to use the computer for school etc...initially everything was good...i started to switch alliance from a pc to mac (lmao)...now i so want to go back to pc, but am holding out because so much people say mac is better. well i had the flashing folder with happy face question mark. after visiting all forums and trying to reinstall software, i ended up buying a new hard drive. then come to find out today i just learned that the imac g5 does not support snow leopard, and that is the software i bought. anyways i had someone work on my computer they brought it back today and i am able to get it.....which i am very happy about, but it looks like he loaded the tiger software and i want to upgrade to leopard being that that is the highest software i can get. but i am having trouble with that........can someone help me asap!!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What problem are you having with the upgrade? When you attempt to do the install make sure that you purchase a retail version of 10.5. These discs seem to be running for between $100.00 and $150.00 on eBay. You'll need at least 512 MB of ram but 1 GB or more is better.

Once you have the disc installation is pretty straightforward. Insert the install DVD, reboot the machine from the DVD drive, and follow the onscreen directions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hate to say it...but it sounds like a bit more research could have been done before jumping into owning and using Macintosh computers.:)

That iMac G5 is a good computer...and should be a fine computer for your young children. The iMac G5 line of computers was available from August, 2004 thru January, 2006...and as you can see...these computers now are from 5-7 years old. This makes finding & purchasing software applications & operating system software more challenging than a brand new Macintosh computer.

If you run into any additional issues...please research the issue & ask questions here so that any additional frustration can be avoided.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.