iOS5 - a way to slow down your downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
What a great idea.

Now I have iOS5, every time I buy something in the iTunes Store, it takes three times as long to download and uses three times as much of my limited Download allowance.

I buy on iTunes on the Mac and it downloads. Simultaneously, it downloads on my iPad and my iPod Touch. What happened to Sync over WiFi?

I assume there is a setting on each iDevice to make the Download three times as fast - or a third as slow - as it is now? :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Why don't you just turn off automatic downloads?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Why don't you just turn off automatic downloads?

I will give that a try.

One thing I do like is the ability to re-download. One of the files I had downloaded proved to be corrupt. Instead of probably just having to re-purchase it as might have been the case before, I deleted the file and then found it under 'Purchased' in iTunes and downloaded it again.

Only the iTunes copy was corrupt - both the iPad and iPod played correctly. There is probably still a way to synchronise from one to the other - unless of course in the old days, deleting the file on one device would have automatically deleted it from the others as well.

A matter of 'pros' and 'cons' I suppose :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question:

I have an Apple ID - used to make purchases on iTunes and AppStore.

I also have a MobileMe ID - used for MobileMe, which has now become iCloud.

My Mac can differentiate between these - so Mail gets downloaded from my email account and purchases work correctly in iTunes.

However, my iPad (which I had before iOS5) uses these correctly - except its Mail App keeps saying my MobileMe ID or password are incorrect - which they are not.

My iPod Touch (bought just as iOS5 came out - upgraded but never actually setup prior to that upgrade) insists on using my Apple ID for iCloud. This means that purchases in iTunes work correctly and synchronise, but files used in Numbers or Pages do not synchronise with the Mac or the iPad - as the iCloud account is different.

1. How can I convince the iPad Mail App that the MobileMe ID and password are correct?

2. How can I force the iPod Touch to let me use the correct iCloud ID, so my documents sync, without having to wipe the whole thing and without breaking the iTunes use of the AppleID?

3. Since Apple perversely refuse to combine the two IDs, which one should we really be using for MobileMe/iCloud purposes now?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think I have fixed them both. I deleted the iCloud entry, ignored the warnings about deleting everything, chose the 'keep everything' option and then recreated an iCloud entry with the correct ID.

So far, nothing seems to have been deleted, no error messages in Mail now and the Numbers and Pages documents sync correctly.

Result :)

Edit - I did the same on both iDevices of course :Smirk:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even better - first you download something and it takes three times as long to download by downloading onto each device simultaneously.

Then, when you sync the device to the Mac, it deletes all the new stuff and re-synchronises it back again.

This is genuinely insane :Not-Amused:

Now I have to delay going to bed while it copies back all the music I had already downloaded - which it deleted and is now copying back.

Edit - turns out it didn't delete it and copy it back - it copied it all on again, i.e. two copies - one downloaded to the Mac and one to the iPod Touch - of the same videos :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.