Aperture : System Requirements Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Out of all of the new releases in the past few weeks I think I am most excited about this program out of all but I am very confused with their system requirements.

You can see the recommended and required requirements there. What I don't get is how they can support a PowerBook G4 at 1.25 ghz with a Radeon 9600 (AGP 4x) and not support a 1.8ghz iMac G5 with a nVidia GeForce 5200 Ultra (AGP 8x). Now I have heard that apple are pretty notorious for overshooting the system requirements and recommended system but will Aperture run on my iMac with the GeForce 5200 even though it isn't on the list of supported graphics cards?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea I have the 1.8ghz G5 but my graphics card isn't listed on the list of compatible graphics cards

J

jessica

Well this may be the reason why I would buy a powermac. I have a new powerbook, but this program makes up for adobe's mistakes with photoshop CS.

R

rsigesmund

I know this is an old thread... Just wanted to add that putting a new graphics card in the G5 is a good idea, but if portability is important to you, and EDITING portably is important, consider selling everything and getting a MacBook Pro. Aperture on a G4 is a complete joke. Trust me, or test it for yourself. I ran Aperture 1 and 1.1 and 1.1.1 on my PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz w/ 2GB of RAM and the 128 MB Mobile Radeon 9600 for a few months and it was pitiful for editing anything larger than a portrait session. If you do a lot of shooting and want a great way to edit your images, the Intel machines scream! If you're fine using Bridge and opening your stuff in Photoshop, then it will not make much of a difference which computer you use... although Adobe stuff ran better on my Powerbook b/c it's optimized for the G4. I knew this before I got my MacBook Pro, but I was much more interested in fast Aperture performance than Photoshop performance for the time being (due to the sheer quantity of images I go through and organize in Aperture (anywhere between 150 - 2000 for an event).

-Ryan

http://www.ryansigesmund.com

jessica said:
Well this may be the reason why I would buy a powermac. I have a new powerbook, but this program makes up for adobe's mistakes with photoshop CS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.