Help!? No IP/Self-assigned address.

Reaction score
Hey there all...
any one having this "self-assigned IP" problem? (still ?)
For me it started a week ago, one day i was surfin' the net at home on my mac book [ OS X 10.6.8 ] (thru a wifi connection), it was all normal.. all the bars were lit up on the airport icon at the top, then the pages didn't load and i saw a " ! " on the airport icon
in network settings under AirPort it says ether:

1.AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet.
2.AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.200.59 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.
or just plain simple..
3.Self-Assigned IP

So after that, i google this thing and i read a couple of forums and tried these things out, witch did didly-squat.(nothing)

1. In Network>Advance>Airport>Preferred Networks-
I had there a couple of networks i used before (at friends, family houses or any free wifi spots) i deleted all the other networks besides the one i want to use at home.

2. I also tried to "renew DHCP Lease" under Network>Advance>TCP/IP

3. in the network settings i also tried this: delete the Airport. Apply and closes the system preferences, then open it back up and create a new Airport

4.Disconnect the telephone line from the modem (but let the modem still be connected to power) for 30 min. I read that it was going to reset it self and after 30 min pass and i connect the cable back it would send a new IP to my mac, buuuuut it didn't

By the way, i use this ( http://www.tp.pl/b/binaries/PL/358021/instrukcja_livebox_366613532.pdf ) to connect to the internet thru wifi. Sorry its all in polish, yes I am Polish and currently living in Poland :)
To this modem i have connected one widows PC, a Mac book (10.6.8), an iMac (10.4.11), and a ipod touch.
On my iMac i never had this problem with the airport, it works fine. Just with the Macbook now.

5. this other thing i tired witch i thought of myself:
under, Network>Advance>TCP/IP
i switched the ConfigureIPv4 from "Using DHCP" to " Using DHCP with manual address" and looking at the network settings that i have on my iMac i just typed in everything in the macbook that was on the imac network settings, applied and.. for a second there i thought i was a computer genius (witch obesely i am definitely not. lol) because after i applied the airport icon on the top flashed full fore bars or.. tree bars and a dot, depends on how you look at it :p but then after like 5 seconds the "!" came back on...

Right now i'm on my macbook connected thru the ethernet cable from my modem as you can probably tell by now, i am noooot that good with computers. The thing is.. when i plugged the ethernet cable in to my macbook the airport icon showed and is still showing all bars but in system preferences it still says " Self-Assigned IP " ( WHY????? lol)
When i unplug the ethernet cable the " ! " comes back on the airport and no internet ..

Now my settings under: Network>Advance>TCP/IP
are..
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.
under there it also shows an "IPv4 Address"
and a "Subnet Mask"
the Router spot is empty tho.. nothing there

under "Configure IPv6" i have it set to Automatically.
and there are
tree more spots witch are empty:
1.Router
2.IPv6 Address
3.Prefix Length

I dont know if thats all good or not, and i have no idea what els should i try the forums i found about this topic had posts from like .. 2006 - 2009 and a few from 2010 and even fewer from 2011 ..
the posts from 10-11 were mostly like " Hey keep this topic going i have th same problem and i need help"
but most of those threads are dead..

PLEASE, if any one could help or give any kind of advice, that would be awesome!
this no IP thing is so freeken' annoying.

..and just off to the side, do you think this is an apple bug/thing or is it just the wifi it self.. oooorr is it my internet service provider?

I hope to hear from some one soon.. :)
you can also email me at: [email protected]

OH! one more thing, i'm downloading some system updates right now, maaaybe the update will help me ... i sure hope so..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
try deleting your network preferences and rebooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hey there all...
any one having this "self-assigned IP" problem? (still ?)
For me it started a week ago, one day i was surfin' the net at home on my mac book [ OS X 10.6.8 ] (thru a wifi connection), it was all normal.. all the bars were lit up on the airport icon at the top, then the pages didn't load and i saw a " ! " on the airport icon
in network settings under AirPort it says ether:

1.AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet.
2.AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.200.59 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.
or just plain simple..
3.Self-Assigned IP

So after that, i google this thing and i read a couple of forums and tried these things out, witch did didly-squat.(nothing)

1. In Network>Advance>Airport>Preferred Networks-
I had there a couple of networks i used before (at friends, family houses or any free wifi spots) i deleted all the other networks besides the one i want to use at home.

2. I also tried to "renew DHCP Lease" under Network>Advance>TCP/IP

3. in the network settings i also tried this: delete the Airport. Apply and closes the system preferences, then open it back up and create a new Airport

4.Disconnect the telephone line from the modem (but let the modem still be connected to power) for 30 min. I read that it was going to reset it self and after 30 min pass and i connect the cable back it would send a new IP to my mac, buuuuut it didn't

By the way, i use this ( http://www.tp.pl/b/binaries/PL/358021/instrukcja_livebox_366613532.pdf ) to connect to the internet thru wifi. Sorry its all in polish, yes I am Polish and currently living in Poland :)
To this modem i have connected one widows PC, a Mac book (10.6.8), an iMac (10.4.11), and a ipod touch.
On my iMac i never had this problem with the airport, it works fine. Just with the Macbook now.

5. this other thing i tired witch i thought of myself:
under, Network>Advance>TCP/IP
i switched the ConfigureIPv4 from "Using DHCP" to " Using DHCP with manual address" and looking at the network settings that i have on my iMac i just typed in everything in the macbook that was on the imac network settings, applied and.. for a second there i thought i was a computer genius (witch obesely i am definitely not. lol) because after i applied the airport icon on the top flashed full fore bars or.. tree bars and a dot, depends on how you look at it :p but then after like 5 seconds the "!" came back on...

Right now i'm on my macbook connected thru the ethernet cable from my modem as you can probably tell by now, i am noooot that good with computers. The thing is.. when i plugged the ethernet cable in to my macbook the airport icon showed and is still showing all bars but in system preferences it still says " Self-Assigned IP " ( WHY????? lol)
When i unplug the ethernet cable the " ! " comes back on the airport and no internet ..

Now my settings under: Network>Advance>TCP/IP
are..
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.
under there it also shows an "IPv4 Address"
and a "Subnet Mask"
the Router spot is empty tho.. nothing there

under "Configure IPv6" i have it set to Automatically.
and there are
tree more spots witch are empty:
1.Router
2.IPv6 Address
3.Prefix Length

I dont know if thats all good or not, and i have no idea what els should i try the forums i found about this topic had posts from like .. 2006 - 2009 and a few from 2010 and even fewer from 2011 ..
the posts from 10-11 were mostly like " Hey keep this topic going i have th same problem and i need help"
but most of those threads are dead..

PLEASE, if any one could help or give any kind of advice, that would be awesome!
this no IP thing is so freeken' annoying.

..and just off to the side, do you think this is an apple bug/thing or is it just the wifi it self.. oooorr is it my internet service provider?

I hope to hear from some one soon.. :)
you can also email me at: [email protected]

OH! one more thing, i'm downloading some system updates right now, maaaybe the update will help me ... i sure hope so..

Under router you need an IP for example if you are using 2Wire from Uverse
it would be 192.168.1.254 if you get one that starts 169.xxx.x.xxx this is a default when the IP can not be established.
As was mentioned re-boot both the router/modem and the Mac.
What brand and model router is it?

OP
C
Reaction score
i just tried this (it KIND OF worked lol ... >_>)
under Airport>Network>advanced>TCP/IP
i changed the "Configure IPv4" from "using DHCP" to "using DHCP with manual address"
and entered the IPv4 Address from "Ethernet>networks>Advanced>TCP/IP"
the airport icon in the network pref. turned green and it said "connected" it even says "AirPort is connected to neostrada_6787 and has the IP address 192.168.1.11. " the airport icon on top is showing all the bars.
Seems awesome right?, i got really happy that this thing is fixed, until i opened safari and the page did not load.
after that i tried rebooting the mac and the router and its still the same, the bars light up and it says its connected but the pages wont load. :/
I also tried two other browsers Firefox and Chrome, but none of them can load any pages..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have other computers connected to that router and they are getting an IP and working on the net?

I tried to read as much of your posting as I could.

OP
C
Reaction score
You have other computers connected to that router and they are getting an IP and working on the net?

I tried to read as much of your posting as I could.
every computer/ipod/phone that was connected trhu wifi to the router was geting an IP and was working fine.. except my macbook osx10.6

OP
C
Reaction score
YES YES YES !!!!
i found a fix !!!
Haha, so happy finally.. after a good month of fighting with this thing .. trying pretty much EVERY thing i can.. that i found in this and a couple of other forums.

Today searching for a fix for this self assigned problem, i stumbled upon this thread (Airport problem: self assigned IP address? - Page 7 - The macosxhints Forums)
in there i found a post from "colin6272" a fix that helped me, i changed my router from a WAP password to a WPA one. and it worked.
Here is how i did it.

I went in to my configuration of the router by typing in the routers numbers in the web browser witch i found in "System preferences>Network>Ethernet>Advanced>TCP/IP " (while connected thru a ethernet cable to the router) in there thare are a couple of things that show up like your IPv4 adress, subnet mask, .. theres a couple of other things but look for "Router:" copy that number .. the "192.xxx.x.x" and paste it in to your browser adress bar, hit enter/return.
A page will load up and it will probably ask you for a user name and a password, most likely both are gonna be "admin" unless you changed it to something els ..

Now for this part..i cant tell you exactly step by step because you probably have a different router and the config. probably looks a little different, but you have to look around for something like a "wireless tab" or .. somethin' like that and when you do find it, it will show you your MAC address, your SSID, your channel and a couple of other things but look for the section where it says "security" or somethin' like that and change it from WAP to WPA when you change it and apply the changes a password will show, copy that save it somewhere or just remember it cuz you'll need it later.

Now, after applying the changes in your router go to "System preferences>Network>Airpot>Advanced>AirPort" in the "preferred Networks" click on the network you just configured and click the edit button change the Security from "WAP Password" to "WPA Personal" enter the password you got before, save, click ok and apply.

Now it should work. :)
It did for me and i'm EXTREMELY happy ! :D
Because i been so frustrated with this thing and fighting this thing for a month .. ughh..
but now its fixed ;D

if this didn't help i probably would of tried changing to a new router.
I really hope this helped someone too, because i know how frustrating this self assigned ip thing can be.
Oh and thanks to "colin6272" from http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=640247 for posting this .. cuz i pretty much reposted this :)

if you got any questions, just ask.. maybe i can help you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.