Starting as an iOS Developer

Reaction score
Hey,

How can I get started developing apps for iDevices? I'm not technically minded and want some pointers on where to begin.

Thanks in Advance, iNerd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are not enough developers here who care to answer this question yet again. I suggest you review the 'Mac Guides' (bad name) listed near the top of this Macrumors forum. This basic question gets asked at least weekly over there, so just browse through the questions for the last few weeks and you'll find plenty of discussion on the topic.

If you know nothing about programming, then be prepared for long learning curve. Also, start with a basic introduction book and if you get through that, you'll know if you want to move forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard.
believe it or not you can get a few basic yet useful videos from youtube also theres some information on fees at this link Mac Developer Program - Apple Developer there are several books available on i tunes to learn how to use "Xcode" the program you will be using to develop apps/games, beware after looking into it myself the coding is "Very" Complex!

Reaction score
As xstep pointed out, learning Mac & iOS programming is not an easy ride, it takes a great deal of time and effort, the best way to learn the Objective-C language, is to learn the basics of the ANSI C language.

I have read a lot of programming books over the years, and I have found the books published by the Big Nerd Ranch are the best starting point, and the best one to start with is this one here!
Amazon.com: Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) (9780321706287): Aaron Hillegass, Mark Fenoglio: Books

This particular book will get you started with basic C, and lead you into Objective C.

Don't buy an iOS programming book, until you learn the basics first, this book is fairly cheap, and with Xmas coming up, I sure you could get a relative to buy it as a present for you.

If you learn and understand the material in this book, then move on to one or both of the books listed below.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-4th/dp/0321774086/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321817850&sr=1-2

Amazon.com: iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (2nd Edition) (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) (9780321773777): Joe Conway, Aaron Hillegass: Books

Both of these two books are great learning tools, but are not for the beginner, all of the Big Berd Ranch books are written by people who teach Objective-C & iOS programming for a job, and who run coarses on these subjects.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Regards Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.