Newbie question (be gentle)

B

burtware

Hello all,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a mac for a long time and now i have decided to just go for it. However, I need to check a few things first.

I am a windows based web developer and I want to run the following setup.

1. A local web server running PHP/APACHE (and possibly MySQL)
2. I need to use a GOOD robust xhtml/css editor, I currently hand code in Homesite on my XP pro machine.

I am very interested in the idea of running a mac mini as a small developer unit. Is it possible to share monitors with a PC using the cable splitter switch ?

Thanks for any responses and that includes ones telling me what a dork I am.

cheers

burt
:headphone :robot:

OP
M

MartinAustin

You're a dork, I'm a dork ... we all are! I'm sorry that I don't have the answers you seek, but I am too interested in finding this out. So, here's to (two) dorks finding their answers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
1. Absolutely I am a web developer myself and run MAMP, a good site (http://www.entropy.ch)
2. I love BBEdit :)
3. No idea on this one.

OP
S

Sodium Studios

One of my friends has a switcher cable for swaping between PC and Mac Mini.
Can't say what model or anything though...

OP
M

MartinAustin

Sodium Studios said:
One of my friends has a switcher cable for swaping between PC and Mac Mini.
Can't say what model or anything though...
Do a search for KVM switches on newegg.com or your favorite online tech retailer. Some can be pricey, but most are reasonable. I don't have one, so I could recommend one, but this is what you're looking for.

OP
B

burtware

MartinAustin said:
Do a search for KVM switches on newegg.com or your favorite online tech retailer. Some can be pricey, but most are reasonable. I don't have one, so I could recommend one, but this is what you're looking for.

thanks - i went and did a search a day or two ago and found out a fair amount.
i've got a mac mini on order and the switch too.

currently running a XP Pro setup with two 17" flat screens. looking to share one of the screens with the Mac mini

wish me luck.!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP TOO!!!!

OP
L

lil

Personally for Apache, just turn on Personal Web Sharing, Mac OS X uses Apache as its web server, it just works. If you're good with apache then you can tweak it easily too. Installing PHP and MySQL shouldn't give you any headaches either.

For editing I either use the supplied TextEdit which works great but if you want syntax highlighting etc., TextWrangler is my recommendation as it is freeware.

I do a lot of PHP/MySQL and Web development myself so this will work great on a Mac.

Vicky

OP
S

steveedge

There are a couple of packages out there that will install PHP and MYSQL in one install..If you want the standard installs. i think i saw them at versiontracker.com

The AB KVM will fix u up on monitors.
You must aquire BB Edit as well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.