WooHoo Juice damage fixed.... 2010 White Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
It would only let me load up 5 pictures, but it fried the display connector, as well as juice all over the logic board, heatsink, cpu. 6 hours, 38 q-tips, 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol, 1 trip to the kitchen sink, and 4 extra screws later, its up and running back in its prime condition :)

IMG_0798[1].jpg

IMG_0799[1].jpg

IMG_0800[1].jpg

IMG_0802[1].jpg

IMG_0801[1].jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congratulations!!! Many liquid spills usually don't have this sort of happy ending!:)

I'm assuming that "we" will not be consuming beverages near "our" MacBook anymore!;)

Way to go!:)

- Nick

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
I forgot to add, all 9 water sensors were tripped. They quoted me a 900 dollar repair bill, 700 for the logic board and 200 in labor.... I brought it back to show my apple service provider and he was still trying to figure out how I got it in working order.

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
pigoo3 I have a wife, and yes, after it was fixed, there was a glass of milk sitting next to it... Needless to say, my wife has taken over my 27 i7 imac and loves to play facebook on that than her "old" laptop...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to add, all 9 water sensors were tripped. They quoted me a 900 dollar repair bill, 700 for the logic board and 200 in labor.... I brought it back to show my apple service provider and he was still trying to figure out how I got it in working order.

When this spill originally occurred...was the computer powered on at the time?

- Nick

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Yup, I just held the power button and prayed that I shut if off in time. But it fried a few things. I had apple replace the display since the water sensor in that wasn't tripped. The keyboard didn't work, track pad didn't work, or display. With a external monitor, keyboard, and mouse it would run very sluggish and was a nightmare, it was hit or miss if it would pick up the external monitor or boot up into osx.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, I just held the power button and prayed that I shut if off in time. But it fried a few things. I had apple replace the display since the water sensor in that wasn't tripped. The keyboard didn't work, track pad didn't work, or display. With a external monitor, keyboard, and mouse it would run very sluggish and was a nightmare, it was hit or miss if it would pick up the external monitor or boot up into osx.

Wow...you really got lucky! I would say consider yourself in the lucky 1% or .1% when a liquid spill like this occurs!:)

It sounds like some "good" bucks still were spent getting it to work. But since you were able to salvage the logic board...that was the BIG thing!:)

- Nick

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
I think alot of cases, they just say the logic board is fried. To be honest, with a liquid spill on these macbooks, it looks like yes, some friege? does occur, but you have to put in hours to scrape it and clean it to get it back into working condition. I think the only thing that might truly happen is cpu may fry, but thats a cheap fix. I would say 99% of mose people wouldn't take it apart to the level I did and take the time to clean each piece. From the picture, you can actually see the corrosion on the board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think alot of cases, they just say the logic board is fried. To be honest, with a liquid spill on these macbooks, it looks like yes, some friege? does occur, but you have to put in hours to scrape it and clean it to get it back into working condition. I think the only thing that might truly happen is cpu may fry, but thats a cheap fix. I would say 99% of mose people wouldn't take it apart to the level I did and take the time to clean each piece. From the picture, you can actually see the corrosion on the board.

As a big DIY person...I would definitely agree with much of what you said.:)

But the bad thing about electronics (laptop computers) and liquid...is electrical connections that are NOT supposed to be made...are made...due to the conductivity of the liquid across circuits (especially if the computer is powered on at the time of the spill). Then irreparable damage occurs within "milliseconds"...wayyy faster than anyone can hit the power button to turn the computer off.

Sounds to me that the liquid spill on your computer didn't hit anything vital initially...giving you just enough time to turn it off.

If it was just a matter of cleaning the "gunk" off the logic board...I'm sure we would have many more positive stories like yours!:)

Congrats again,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Yep, as you noticed the corrosion is absolutely apparent. Now, I don't blame them for not cleaning this off and returning it. Why? Well, think about it this way. There's an implied warranty on service work. Would you, as a company, really warranty an item you scraped the corrosion off of? Personally, I wouldn't.

Is it worth it as an individual trying to recover this way? I'd say absolutely. As long as you feel comfortable with the process (personally, I have no problems with that either).

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Well, I forgot to add in that I also used a razor blade lol, it was thin enough in some places to slide it in and scrape the burn corrosion from the connector itself, my last option would have been to bake it, but thats a bit annoying to have to do that for 30 minutes to an hour, but better than 900 bucks down the drain.

IMG_0432[1].jpg

IMG_0433[1].jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.