• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mac spec vs pc spec what do you guys think

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Yes im still on the verge of getting a mac but looking at the pros and cons.So heres the specs of two machines and wonderd what you guys think.They would be used for general multimedia as well as editing home videos from tape based and avchd files.I was planning on using imovie or final cut pro(maybe adobie premier).I have just seen a thread on here where someone has a similar based spec mac(infact twice as much ram as i was going to get)and is having trouble with juddery playback which is a major concern.Ok so heres the specs

Imac 3.4 ghz quad core intel i7,
8gb of ram
2 tb hard drive
amd radion hd6970m with 2 gb

or a custom pc
quad core i7
16 gb ram
2 1 tb hard drives
blue ray writter
20 gb cache drive with the operating system loaded on.

Looking foward to your views .
Lee

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A spec by spec comparison between a Mac and a Windows computer is usually not a good way to compare things (unlike making the same comparison between tow different Windows computers).

The best way (IMHO) to compare a Mac and a Windows computers is:

- how easy, how efficient, and how intuitive is the OS
- the virus, malware, and junkware comparison
- and what some folks say about Mac's and the Mac OS...they just work!:)

Maybe the big question are:

- Why are you considering switching to a Mac (if you're a long time Windows user)?
- How familiar are you with the Mac OS?

The Mac OS is somewhat different...and sometimes folks don't like change.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
well, 'on paper' the PC 'spec performance' seems 'higher' to me and therefore probably faster...

as i have read on here previously, the Mac spec, as you list above, will handle iMovie, Final Cut and Adobe Premier, no problem. I have not read the article regarding juddery playback, so can't comment on that, unusual as it sounds.

Most people, "edit:" I buy Apple products not only for the performance but because of many other things, so i guess you have to make the leap accordingly..You will no doubt receive many more opinions on here which are fantastic, but at the end of the day, choosing a Mac over a PC may be based largely upon your confidence in a Mac or indeed Apple products.

good luck and tell us how you got on.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They are two different things. Apples v Apples and Oranges vs Oranges.

And then you have to consider the operating systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2009 24" iMac, mid 2009 13" MBPro
Lee, your spec for an iMac is what I would go for and especially if you're editing video files etc. You'll hear the mac mantra "it just works" but take that with a pinch of salt, they're good but they sometimes just do odd things. I have used Microsoft based PC's since the early 80's and I have to say that IMHO Apple have a far more user-friendly and intuitive OS. However, Lion hasn't been a very clean upgrade with lots of problems and some ridiculous changes e.g everything's gone grey, they've inexplicably taken the colour out of Finder. On average though, the Mac provides a better than PC experience particularly for a home user. But expect to find out how to use the Mac yourself, Apple could do better because you are left to stumble upon the fab features too much by chance. Forums are a rich source of information and misinformation so take advice carefully and never ever criticise Apple on any forums, you'll get a tirade of irrational abuse thrown at you by the blinkered Apple fanboys. And having said that, look at the price of Macs over PC's - if PC's were that expensive, they too would be brilliant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.