VGA Source/DVI Source to Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)

Reaction score
Hi guys.. I tried searching this topic on here but I never had any luck..

I know that Apple doesn't make this adapter but I was wondering if anyone knew if anyone else produced it.......

I have an older mac book pro (with the dvi port to hook up to an external monitor) and I want to hook it up to my room mates Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)... My Mac Book Pro works great for me and I do not feel that I need to upgrade at this time.. Anyone know how I can hook this up???

Thanks.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Brian stated, you can not go that way. Read through the link he provided which will give you further insight. There seems to be some disparity from Apple in that they are "supposedly" coming out with an adapter that will allow what you wish. However, another report says otherwise.

With the price of Thunderbolt adapters soaring around the $100 mark, I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
Anyone else getting tired of Apple always switching things like this so your existing hardware is never compatible with the new releases?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone else getting tired of Apple always switching things like this so your existing hardware is never compatible with the new releases?

How far back do you want to go? Apple has been doing this pretty much since 1984! So it's really Apple's "normal" way of evolution or advancement (and not something new or different). Out with the old...in with the new!;)

Of course I've been effected by this MANY times..and most of the time not happy about it. But if Apple didn't innovate in this manner...they probably wouldn't be the company they are today!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's not as if there aren't plenty of perfectly good displays on the market that will work fine with DVI or VGA or DisplayPort.

The only unique feature of the Thunderbolt display is that it provides USB and FireWire breakout for computers with Thunderbolt. If your computer doesn't have Thunderbolt, you would just be buying an expensive display.

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac at home, and I really wanted to be able to hook my work PC up and use the monitor. Unfortunately due to this major limitation I cannot, and now I'm forced to get a second monitor to hook up to my laptop. This is a major pain in the butt for me.

I had always stayed away from Apple due to things like this, but I decided to give them a try this time around, and it bit me in the butt... I'd be perfectly willing to drop $100 on an adapter that would work - a waste of money, yes, but at least I could use the beautiful iMac display for work instead of cramming another monitor onto my desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 2.4Ghz C2D 8GB Corsair X128 128GB SSD, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25GB RAM
I have a 27" iMac at home, and I really wanted to be able to hook my work PC up and use the monitor. Unfortunately due to this major limitation I cannot, and now I'm forced to get a second monitor to hook up to my laptop. This is a major pain in the butt for me.

I had always stayed away from Apple due to things like this, but I decided to give them a try this time around, and it bit me in the butt... I'd be perfectly willing to drop $100 on an adapter that would work - a waste of money, yes, but at least I could use the beautiful iMac display for work instead of cramming another monitor onto my desk.

It's funny in a sad way, I have the exact same situation. I'm typing this on my 27" iMac 2011. Next to me is my personal 2010 MacBook Pro 13" and my work Dell D630. Neither laptop has a Thunderbolt port.

So - I cannot use my 27" iMac display. There is in fact a confirmed report \ article on ArsTechnica where a miniDP Cinema display works via Thunderbolt - when connected downstream of a Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID array. So, it can work, they just haven't released anything for it yet.

What is doubly frustrating to me is that I just went all out Mac late last year. I picked up the MacBook Pro, then the iMac earlier this year.

The reasoning primarily being 'it just works' (along with a host of other reasons).

Now, it no longer 'just works'. In fact, it's hard to figure out what can or will work in the future with regards to TB. In the meantime, I'm missing out on real performance gains I could have had via USB 3.0 Plus, I'm loathe to open up my iMac and put in an SSD - so I'm booting off an external SSD via FW 800. If I had a 2010 iMac, i could have an eSata adapter put on it by OWC. No such doodads for this model.

I feel like I bought an Edsel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.