2 wifi networks

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in the UK. Have had BT install infinity. Their new router is not giving me a decent wifi signal. My music streaming to an airport express keeps dropping out. So I have slaved their previous router off of the new one. I have 2 wifi networks running. Their new router, in order to get the infinity speeds, and the old router to stream music.
My question is, is there any way of forcing my iMac to only connect to 1 of these networks?
Or, anyone have any other solutions to my original issue of inferior wifi signal.
Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Network - highlight the Airport adapter on the left - click the Advanced button:

remove the network you do not want to use from the Preferred Networks box
or
re-order the 2 networks so that it connects to the one you want as a 1st option

I use the 2nd option - I use 2 networks, one set up at each end of the house. As I move around the house / outside, I can switch between them..

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks Bobtomay,
I knew about the ordering of the networks.
Just to compound the problem, the BT software in the new router has something which will select the strongest wifi signal and automatically switch to that network if it's a network which I have authorised, which they are. Can't find anything in the router setup to switch that off.
My problem lies in that the strongest signal is produced by the old router, so I need that for the music streaming, but the other network is needed, so that I can access their superfast (35mb?) broadband. The weaker signal, for the broadband, has yet to drop out when accessing the internet, but it won't always recognise the Airport Express for the music streamimg.
Am I waffling now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.