Dlink DP301-U print server

Reaction score
I have just bought a new MacBook Pro. I have a Canon inkjet printer connected to my home network via a Dlink DP301-U print server (USB to ethernet). The IOS system recognizes that the printer is there, and can print to it fine if I connect it up directly via USB. But i cannot get the system to recognize that the connection is ethernet, and to address it that way. In PC land, I set up a custom port, but not sure if there is that kind of handle in MAC world. Can anyone provide info on (1) how to do this, in case the printer server is compatible, or (2) a recommended print server to buy for both PC and MAC environments.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just put in the IP into Safari for my Print Server. Guess What? Dlink DP301U.

What version of OSX is on that new MBP? Lion?

The funny thing is that mine has always worked in every version of OSX and Windows by just adding it in the Printer Utility in System Preferences and then adding the driver for my printer to that. I do not remember doing anything special to get it to work.

Main difference here is I am using a Brother HL2040SL Laser printer on mine. It's been the best print server I have ever owned. Been on for over 5 years now and never let me down on any OSX system or Windows.

Let me check the settings and see what I can find. It could be something with the driver for the Canon not being able to do networking. Seen that with some drivers and users on Mac Forums. Be sure the Canon driver for OSX is the latest from their Website!!

I configured the DP301-U to have a Manual IP on my network BTW.

OP
D
Reaction score
I am using OS 10.7, and have downloaded the latest Canon driver.
I want to make sure that I understand "adding it in the Printer Utility and then adding the driver for my printer to that". I downloaded and installed the driver, but when I select the printer in the printer utility, it always says it is offline.

I also have a networked Brother laser printer and the MAC picked that up (after installing the CUPS driver) and it worked immediately.

I have also configured the DP301-U to have a manual IP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What you do is click the + in the printer utility and add the print server and at the same time assign the print driver for your Canon.

If you still can't figure it out let me know and I will post some screen shots. Running Lion 10.7.2 here.

OP
D
Reaction score
When I click the + sign, I see the printer by name, but not the print server. Is there a way to make the printer server appear?

And when I select the printer, it wants to assign a generic driver. It does not recognize that the printer driver is installed. When I plug the printer into the MAC with the USB cable, I can select the printer and the driver works fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will get on my other Mac with Lion and set it up and make notes and take some screen shots. Should have the info up by tomorrow morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
As dtravis7 was saying (but wasn't certain), you can't use the Canon-provided driver for this non-postscript printer over a network. Brother is the only maker of non-postscript printers to use the CUPS programming interface for drivers (so far).
The Canon drivers are what Apple calls "monolithic" meaning they have the page translation AND the communication interface built into the driver. They haven't allowed the other CUPS standard network protocols to be used.

So you will need to use an open-source CUPS-style driver, like Gutenprint, that Apple has included in OS X.
Check for newest version of Gutenprint here:
Gutenprint for Mac OS X

print server - compatible, Canon driver - not

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is exactly what I figured was happening. Thanks for that Gsahli.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.