ADC apple studio display

Reaction score
I recently inherited an old apple studio display from a 2003 g5. It uses an ADC cable. I found apple's ADC to DVI adapter. I have a 2010 mbp, any reason that with the addition of a mini display to DVI adapter that this wouldn't work?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently inherited an old apple studio display from a 2003 g5. It uses an ADC cable. I found apple's ADC to DVI adapter. I have a 2010 mbp, any reason that with the addition of a mini display to DVI adapter that this wouldn't work?

Thanks

I would have to see the adapters (maybe some photos). The one possible problem might be "adapter gender". Where you may not have the needed male/female combination for the adapters to fit together. Plus there's always the issue of using multiple adapters...and having problems.

Keep in mind that this ADC-based Apple display is probably only worth $50 bucks (depending on the size). So don't spend too much trying to get it to work...since a more modern used DVI-based LCD display (17" for example) can be had off Craig's List for about $40-$60.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are two adapters. The ADC/DVI is cheap and consists of simply two plugs. You would need the much dearer DVI/ADC which plugs into mains power, the computer DVI ports and USB port. They are no longer available from the Apple Online Store, but were sold at US$99.00 so if you want to go this way you may be able to gets used one cheap.

Want some good advice? Give it a miss as the ADC Studio Display are now old, old old. They were released eleven years ago with the 400MHz G4 with a 15"screen, then a 17"screen. Later models were 21" and 23". The DVI/ADC adapter will age, cause slow booting and will not boot from system install discs eventually.

For the money look for a newer display such as a BenQ 22" LED which sells for less than $200.00. Here is what the DVI/ADC adapter looked like:-

VideoGuys Australia | Apple M8661X/B - Apple DVI-I to ADC Adapter

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't even going to look at buying anything, I already have a dell 19" LCD and a 23" asus, I was just wondering if it would work. And I was looking at the apple adapters, no way I would buy one now, cheapest I could find them was $110 haha. thanks though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.