• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canvas and Timeline disappear

Reaction score
I was in the middle of exporting my FCP project to a Quick Time movie and had to cancel the export. When I opened the project back up, the Canvas and Timeline for my project disappeared, and their headings under the Window tab are greyed out so that I can't reopen them. (They are not off screen and are not in the menu at the bottom of the screen.) I have tried everything recommended on the web--trashing preferences, double clicking on a sequence, setting the Arrange option to Standard, and nothing works. Any ideas on how I can get the Canvas and Timeline to come back on my project? Thanks.

Reaction score
You've tried double clicking the sequence, but it still sounds like you don't have one open. Create a new one and see if that works.

OP
R
Reaction score
I do have a sequence open. I have opened different sequences as well and none enabled the canvas and timeline. Thanks for your reply.

OP
R
Reaction score
I had tried that as well. I went ahead and began the editing over again. Ugh. FCP is a nightmare. Thanks again.

OP
R
Reaction score
The Timeline and Canvas were restored by pure accident. While working on re-editing the whole project, I accidently clicked on "Sequence 1" in the Browser Window and the Timeline and Canvas came back. I don't know why or how, but there you have it.

Reaction score
Shortcut for resetting the layout

Have you tried the Layout Resetting shortcut: "Crtl + U" ?

Ciao

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.