Movies & Pictures

Reaction score
Hi, i am in the process of changing my files over from Windows to the Mac.

I currently have my photos and videos saved in the same folder on my Windows set up as each folder contains a mix of photos and videos from some event

I see that on Mac OS X, it already comes with a separate folder for Pictures and a separate folder for Movies...

Can anyone see any problem if i was to delete one of these folders and then rename the other one to Movies & Pictures, thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
General rule of thumb: Do not mess with, delete, rename, or move any of the built in folders that are provided with OS X as it can and will cause problems. Use the folders as they are designed. The built in applications (iPhoto and iMovie) will take care of properly storing and cataloging your photos and movies. Just move them over separately and let iPhoto and iMovie take care of them.

OP
O
Reaction score
I just tried to delete Movies and Pictures on the mac and it says

"Movies" can't be modified or deleted because it's required by Mac OS X

So i guess i better leave them there...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated, don't mess with the file system. :) It's OK to ask though, many new users want to jump in and do things the Windows way. Forget about Windows, you're using a "real" system now. Have fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.