2011 iMac 27" - RAM Upgrade Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 16g RAM, 2g VRAM, i7 (3.4)
hi -

I just bought the 2011 iMac w/ the i7 processor (3.4) & had them put 8g of RAM in it - but I have run into issues with AVCHD & it was suggested that I upgrade to 16g of RAM...

So I'm now looking to upgrade from 8g of RAM to 16g...

does anyone have any suggestions as to which brand I should go with?

i keep reading about OWC & Crucial... but was just curious if any of you had upgraded this machine, & if so what worked best for you?

also, i read somewhere that i would have to remove the original 8g of RAM that came in the iMac if I wanted to upgrade (which makes absolutely no sense to me) but just figured I'd ask about this as well (just in case)... but I'm assuming this is not the case, and not necessary...?

thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I've got Crucial RAM in my iMac, and haven't encountered any problems.

You don't have to remove the original RAM either, unless there are 4x2gb sticks in there, in which case you would have to remove two, at least.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
And I have OWC in mine - no problems at all. You should be fine with either.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 16g RAM, 2g VRAM, i7 (3.4)
thanks for the insight & guidance...

I actually wound up going with Centon after talking with the guy at microcenter...

so far so good - thanks again!

- Vince

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.