Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
click the apple logo at the top left of the screen and about this Mac

OP
A

agreen

another question for trpmonkey41,

My PowerBook G4 can connect to the internet when the modem cable is plugged into the laptop, but not plugged into the phone wall socket. But if i take the cable out of the back of the laptop, the connection is gone.

Why is this?
Do I need to worry about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not sure if i understand what you are trying to say

When you are connected to the internet you unplug your cable from the wall and it still works

when you are connected and disconnect it from the computer it stops working

im not sure why it would work when you unplug it from the wall but as soon as you disconnect either end it should not be working

OP
A

agreen

No. I don't ACTUALLY need to plug the cable in to the wall to get the internet connection in the first place. however, when i pull the cable out of the laptop, the connection is broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do you get your connection without plugging the cable into the wall?

OP
A

agreen

That's exactly what I'm trying to work out.

I see in your 'My Mac Specs' you've got AirPort listed. How will I know if it is an AirPort enabled laptop? But saying that, the laptop has to be connected to allow the Internet access.

Aarrgghhh...bizarre. Do you know anyone else who might know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
sigh* first of all, I have no idea what your talking about.

But from what Ive gathered:
to check if you have air port: HD/applications/utilities/AirPort Admin Utility/if nothing shows up, press rescan, if still nothing shows up, you have no AirPort.
In the case you have AirPort, and somehow someone really dumb set up a wireless network near you and didn't put any admin controls on it, that would be how you are connected when you are nowhere near the internet hardwire.
(how do you not know if you bought an AirPort?)

2nd:
From that unpluged cable from the wall bit..:
ok, now you have a cable connection. If you plug one line into the wall, one line into the cable modem, and one line into the computer so all 3 are connected to eachother directly or indirectly, then you have an internet connection (assuming you have that ability) If any of those lines are disconnected, you no longer have Internet, you may have ethernet connection if other computers are connected, but you would not beable to access this webpage. The only way you would beable to view any webpages is if your using a browser that has the ability to save entire webpages (like iCab) but your not viewing it in real time, any refresh will erase that info.

If that didn't answer your problems, we need more information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.