sudo rm -R (not sudo rm -Rf)

Reaction score
someone told me to delete the files go to terminal and then use "sudo rm -R" then to drag trash bin items to terminal.

Now, I think if you add an f to the end it will delete the operating system, so just wondering, was someone scamming me withe the above?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

OP
T
Reaction score
I got my answer (see my other post for what I am trying to do)

sudo rm -R / - never!
If someone tricks you into typing this, you’ll erase everything off of all of your mounted hard drives. Not just the system drive, but all of them!
rm means remove. -R means recursively, that is, every directory inside the target. / is the target, and means the top level of your computer, which logically represents all of your mounted hard drives.
So, don’t do this. That would just be silly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep out of Terminal unless you know precisely what you are doing. it is pretty strong magic!

Reaction score
Keep out of Terminal unless you know precisely what you are doing. it is pretty strong magic!

And on top of this - if you have to do stuff in the terminal, do some research before typing in a command.

sudo: superuser rights to execute the following command
rm: remove
-R : Recursive
/: your root folder

Not only will this command delete your operating system - it will delete everything that's on the harddrive you are applying this to.

Like harryb2448 said - stay away from the Terminal when possible. If you have do do something in there and ask other people for help, do some research what it does. Not only will you be safer, you'll also understand what you are doing and will know more next time. It's not exactly rocket science.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
someone told me to delete the files go to terminal and then use "sudo rm -R" then to drag trash bin items to terminal.

Now, I think if you add an f to the end it will delete the operating system, so just wondering, was someone scamming me withe the above?
Any particular reason that you're not simply using the Trash? As noted here, you should stay away from the command line unless absolutely necessary and even then only if you know what you're doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.