Please help! Looking for a simple note app.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been searching far and wide for an app I don't think exists. Here's what I'm looking for:

I want something in the vein of Apple's iOS Note app -- simple to use, opens easily and allows for quick note taking. I like that new notes push to email automatically.

However, all I want are folders! Is there anyway on the Note app to create folders? Or, is there an app that has folders that does the same thing?

So I need three things:

1. Opens quickly and allows for quick notes.
2. Pushes new notes to an email (like Gmail)
3. Has folders to sort notes by subject.

That's it! Does this exist?

Evernote and Awesome Note are too complicated. SimpleNote feels to claustrophobic cluttered.

Please help!

Thank you!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Evernote sounds just about right. I know you say it's complicated - but it really isn't. Just name your folders (notebooks) - and start populating it with notes as you see fit. Put it on all your devices and now your notes are everywhere you want them to be. It really is a great app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another vote for Evernote and its free.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions. I'll give Evernote a second try.

Can you set up Evernote to automatically email each new note?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thanks for the opinions. I'll give Evernote a second try.

I'm not sure why you would want to do that - but I can look at it tonight if noone gets you an answer before then. Can you describe your envisioned workflow a little more? It seems a bit unnecessary to have each note e-mailed - but then I don't know your planned workflow.

As an aside, you can e-mail notes into Evernote.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

Thanks.

Basically, I use the Notes app as a way to jot down notes. I rarely re-reference them within the app. I like having the Notes pushed to my email so I can see them quickly and it allows me to not have to check another site (Evernote) for my information (since I'm on Gmail all the time already). From there, I print out the notes.

Basically, it's a streamlined way to get my notes from my head onto paper. I admit it's a bit silly to not want to check another site and it seems that's what I may have to do if I want folders.

Surprised Apple has integrated folders into their Note app, but I guess it's based on email (which is also weird).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It doesn't look like you can do it automatically but you can easily right click it and go to Share > Email Note...

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Brian,

Thanks.

Basically, I use the Notes app as a way to jot down notes. I rarely re-reference them within the app. I like having the Notes pushed to my email so I can see them quickly and it allows me to not have to check another site (Evernote) for my information (since I'm on Gmail all the time already). From there, I print out the notes.

Basically, it's a streamlined way to get my notes from my head onto paper. I admit it's a bit silly to not want to check another site and it seems that's what I may have to do if I want folders.

Surprised Apple has integrated folders into their Note app, but I guess it's based on email (which is also weird).

Let's see. First Evernote has a standalone app - for IOS or OS X, or Windows for that matter - so you can see all of your notebooks in whichever way is most convenient - in addition to the online version.

You can generate a URL for your note - from that app - and associate that in a document for later.

You can group notebooks - and tag notes (which I use heavily) - makes searching for common topics easy.

I completely get not wanting to browse for your notes - but you don't have to do that - I never have. They'll either be in notebooks on your IOS device or on the Mac OS X app.

For instance- let's say I'm writing a paper - and either taking notes or trying to track my ADHD ideas - I just slap them in a note - file them in the proper notebook - and put some keyword tags on them. Then when I want to look back at everything on a particular topic - or that I thought belonged in a particular chapter - I just click on those tags - and those notes are in the window.

If I have an idea at work - (where I can't access either the Evernote site or app) - I just e-mail that idea, with tags into the desired notebook.

If I'm drafting an outline - and think that certain notes will be relevant for an outline bullet - I'll just grab a URL for that note directly from the note itself - and put it in Word for easy access later.

Personally - I think having them pushed to e-mail would not keep them organized at all - especially for a project that has any sort of long duration. I know I couldn't keep them organized that way. Before Evernote - I used to e-mail myself ideas - but Evernote has replaced all of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.