What do you think is better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi I am a new user here. I am thinking of getting a new iMac referbished from an apple store for about $1,300. My brother brought up that I should get a MacBook Pro. My question is for what I am going to use this for is a lot of video editing. So I really do not need to be portable. Which one is more powerful? I will be using the editor FinalCut Pro X. And I will be doing other things like photoshop and illustrator.

If I were to get a iMac, would that be more powerful for less money? or do you think that a MacBook Pro is about the same as an iMac.

Here is the iMac that I am thinking

Intel i7
8GB RAM
Standard video card.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
They are pretty much neck and neck. The MBP might have a slight edge depending on which MBP we are talking about. >_>"

I would get the iMac for screen real estate plus you can add more RAM.

20111027-1tq5sabbj5g68c9wjcm255y145.jpg

Results from here.

Further Benchmarks.

Reaction score
if you don't need it to be portable then go for the iMac the bigger screen will be helpful when editing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I were to get a iMac, would that be more powerful for less money?

Generally speaking:

- If you're spending the same amount of money...you get more bang for your buck with a desktop.

- If you're getting exactly the same specs (or same benchmark numbers)...then the desktop should cost less than the same performance laptop.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
They are pretty much neck and neck. The MBP might have a slight edge depending on which MBP we are talking about. >_>"

I would get the iMac for screen real estate plus you can add more RAM.

20111027-1tq5sabbj5g68c9wjcm255y145.jpg

Results from here.

Further Benchmarks.

Thank's for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.