Maxxed out iMac or entry level Pro?

Reaction score
I am not a power or sophisticated user, just someone who wants enough machine to last a while, horsepower-wise.

It looks like the advantages of a basic Pro would be better ventilation/cooling, effectively infinite expandability, and discrete components (allowing targeted upgrades and easier repairs). Would the appx $1K difference in price (w/screen) buy anything else?

Conversely, are there any advantages to the iMac even though it costs less?

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
The biggest advantage to me is the all-in-one design. After many years of Dell/Gateway and something else I can't remember, it was great to not have the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another Mac Pro voter for future upgrading with four hard drive bays, tray loading optical drives, two if need be, more memory and graphics upgrades. Also CPU's can be upgraded if need be.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

A related question: when researching either machine, I keep encountering cautions to avoid the Seagate 1TB hard drives that Apple fitted recently---or maybe just a certain production run of them?---and to get confirmation at order time that one of the problem-prone units is not what they're going to ship.

Does anyone know how to do that when dealing with the online Apple Store? I can find no "comment box" sort of thing that allows any communication beyond ticking the BTO spec boxes.

Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The model with that problem was the 7200.11. Phone the Apple store and ask for a machine with a Western Digital drive fitted and see what they say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.