Magsafe 60W Power Adapter Caught Fire

Reaction score
Yeah, the magsafe power adapter for my macbook 4,1 caught fire yesterday morning. Fortunately I was there to put it out immediately, but naturally it doesn't work anymore.

The fire was in the wire up close to where the cord connects to the laptop.

From what I hear, there have been many complaints about this. So what can I do to get a replacement? I'm kinda peeved. My house could have burnt down if I wasn't there.

I'll post up pictures tomorrow, but for now, what are my options?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ouch! Had the wire been nicked/exposed in the least bit? Just curious.

As for your options, bring it in to an Apple Store. It's more than likely they'll give you a new one. This is also why I asked if it was nicked at all, since I know for a fact that a lot of people don't take very good care of their adapters. My wife included. I always ask her to make sure that when she puts hers away, to keep the skinny end down and fold the thicker side onto it, rather than roll them both up in a circle. Eventually, that method will cause the end of the adapter to get loose, and perhaps get frayed.

doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm a little surprised by where you say the fire was located? That's not where I would expect it to be - if at all.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm a little surprised by where you say the fire was located? That's not where I would expect it to be - if at all.

Actually not the first time I've heard or seen this happening. >_>" It's rare...

OP
T
Reaction score
Here's a picture:

IMG_1016.jpg

Sorry for the horrible quality. Took it from my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't know why but I thought it was the other end. Yeah, that's a strange place for it to happen! Take it back and don't bother with eBay. If you brought it to me, I'd replace it... that's for sure.

Doug

Edit: I'm guessing there was a small nick on that end, and that it came into contact with a metal object.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm thinking the whole 'burn the house down' thing may have been slightly exaggerated. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple replaced it - but I think if I were an Apple genie I'd be skeptical about the care taken with the adapter.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a picture:

Thanks for the photo.:) By any chance was the cord insulation cracked or worn thru at the location of the "fire"?

I'm thinking if it was...that any exposed (bare) wire could have shorted-out if it touched against something...like something metal. The spot of concern (near the plug)...is certainly a "stress area"...and the insulation could have been compromised in some way over time.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the photo.:) By any chance was the cord insulation cracked or worn thru at the location of the "fire"?

I'm thinking if it was...that any exposed (bare) wire could have shorted-out if it touched against something...like something metal. The spot of concern (near the plug)...is certainly a "stress area"...and the insulation could have been compromised in some way over time.

- Nick

Now where have I read such an suggestion before? Hmmm..... ;)

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now where have I read such an suggestion before? Hmmm..... ;)

Doug

Sorry...(I see...but didn't see earlier)...that you suggested the same thing (but earlier)!;)

- Nick

p.s. I hate when people do that as well!;);)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've seen one of those (on this forum, in fact) before. I'm fairly convinced it's caused by a short in the MagSafe connector, caused by little bits of metal being attracted to the magnetic plug.

That's the only downside to the MagSafe connector - you have to regularly inspect both the plug and the port for debris.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Here's a picture:

IMG_1016.jpg

I've seen one of those (on this forum, in fact) before. I'm fairly convinced it's caused by a short in the MagSafe connector, caused by little bits of metal being attracted to the magnetic plug.

That's the only downside to the MagSafe connector - you have to regularly inspect both the plug and the port for debris.

The same thing happened to my original magsafe on my MB. It didn't catch fire but there was sparks. Ended up buying a new one. >_<"

OP
T
Reaction score
Obviously I don't have any "before" pictures so I can't prove it, but from what I recall, there were no nicks.

I suppose the metal being attracted to the magnet theory is possible, although I don't really take the adapter anywhere with me. It usually just sits on my desk.

There isn't an Apple store in my city. I'll have to go to the next one over in about a week to get it replaced. However, there is an apple reseller at my school. Do you think they could replace it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Obviously I don't have any "before" pictures so I can't prove it, but from what I recall, there were no nicks.

I suppose the metal being attracted to the magnet theory is possible, although I don't really take the adapter anywhere with me. It usually just sits on my desk.

There isn't an Apple store in my city. I'll have to go to the next one over in about a week to get it replaced. However, there is an apple reseller at my school. Do you think they could replace it?

I think the last time we had a member with a similar issue take it to the Apple Store, they replaced it free of charge.

Another alternative is to order a refurbished unit from OWC. I bought one from them a few years ago just to use at work, and it's been working great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.