Video Card Advice

Reaction score
Hello. A year or so ago I purchased a used Powerbook G4 to "try out" a Mac and see how I like it. Everything works great on the computer except I can't stream any video (no Youtube). Well, it tries but it's extremely choppy and unwatchable. Apparently the video card is too outdated and it can't be upgraded.

I've decided I want to go full-time Mac. But I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Can anyone advise of the type of video card I need to be looking for in a used model? In addition to streaming, I work a lot in video editing (previously Vegas but will be making the jump to Premiere). A brand new Mac just isn't in the budget. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello. A year or so ago I purchased a used Powerbook G4 to "try out" a Mac and see how I like it. Everything works great on the computer except I can't stream any video (no Youtube). Well, it tries but it's extremely choppy and unwatchable.

Yes this is pretty normal with a 10 year-old computer.

I've decided I want to go full-time Mac. But I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Can anyone advise of the type of video card I need to be looking for in a used model? In addition to streaming, I work a lot in video editing (previously Vegas but will be making the jump to Premiere). A brand new Mac just isn't in the budget. Thanks!

To be totally honest...if you're concerned about making the same mistake twice...then spending more money on this (most likely around 10 year-old) computer would be making another mistake.

This computer is probably worth around $75-$125 bucks (depending on the model).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I'm not looking to upgrade the Powerbook G4. I'm looking to purchase a used Macbook. I'm hoping I can find a 2009 or newer model that's a decent price but I don't know what I should look for in terms of the video card for one of those.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I'm not looking to upgrade the Powerbook G4. I'm looking to purchase a used Macbook. I'm hoping I can find a 2009 or newer model that's a decent price but I don't know what I should look for in terms of the video card for one of those.

Sorry...I did misunderstand you...but you really didn't mention anything about wanting to get a used MacBook...all you said was that you couldn't afford a new computer.;)

What is your budget?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
True, true.

I'm hoping to stay below $800.00. Under $700 would be a dream.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, true.

I'm hoping to stay below $800.00. Under $700 would be a dream.

That budget actually isn't too bad.:)

As you probably know...Apple sells new computers. But what you may not know is...Apple also sells refurbished computers.

The only thing Apple has currently that almost fits into your budget is this MacBook for $849 (plus tax):

Shop Refurbished MacBook - Apple Store (U.S.)

Other than this...you would pretty much have to find something used via Craig's List or e-Bay.

Let me also mention something about your video card question. MacBooks are very good computers...but they're not the best. This is where the MacBook Pro line of computers comes in. They can be better depending on the configuration...but they cost more $$$$.

And if you hang onto a MacBook for 8-10 years (maybe like your Powerbook G4)...eventually it will get slow.

I'm currently using a 2007 MacBook Pro (pushing 5 years old now)...and have no complaints.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. Also wanted to mention. Depending on your needs...a slightly older MacBook (say 2008 vintage) in the $400-$500 range may also fit your needs. But that $849 MacBook I linked above would be a very nice little computer!:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! I did not know that. :)

It does look like a great computer. Being that I work so heavily in graphics and video though, I really need a 15" minimum. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I really need a 15" minimum.

If this is the case...need to be more careful with terminology! You said that you were looking for a "used MacBook". ALL Macbook's have a 13" display. If you need a 15"...then that only comes with a MacBook Pro.

Also consider...that a 13" MacBook works just fine at a desk (at home or at work) with an external display plugged into it.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh, thanks Nick! I thought Macbook was just an older version of Macbook Pro. See, this is why I'm here. I obviously have some research to do before buying. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Just a quick fyi, if you really do need a bigger display, which ever macbook you did buy, you can actually connect it to a bigger screen either hdmi or even vga. The mini display port gives you pretty much any connector type for only 20 dollars. Also they recently stopped selling the white macbooks, so you can always try craigslist. I have seen some 2010-2011 white macbooks go for 700 dollars. I actually got mine last year for 700 that included new condition as well as box, packaging, and even receipt. If your worried about whether you are buying a non working or possible broken, you can also have them take it to a apple store or certified apple service provider to take a look at the condition of it and the warranty status before you buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.