MagSafe has a dim light constantly, won't charge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) 2.26 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
I've got a Macbook Pro 13in, mid-2009 and I've had issues with it in the past. In February 2010, my screen died and being that I was still in warranty they fixed it. I'm not now though and the local genius-bar is an hour and a half away.

Earlier today I noticed the light on my T Shaped MagSafe adapter was a dim green while plugged into my Macbook Pro. It was still charging though! I continued about my work and I got breakfast. When I returned, my MacBook Pro said (Not Charging) in the top right.

067a479d.png

It wouldn't charge and the very dim green light remained. So I unplugged the charger and followed the troubleshooting on the Apple website. I cleaned the pins, I made sure they have their spring movement. I cleaned the pins on my Macbook Pro. I even tried a different adapter with my MagSafe, as in, I unplugged the longer cord it came with and used the adapter with a cord to plug it into my wall. That didn't work either. All the while it had a dim green light.

So I checked About This Mac and I saw that the MagSafe adapter essentially has no profile.

27bfe9cf.png

I don't know what to do. I was thinking of just replacing it but they don't have my MagSafe type on the Apple Store website, and as I said, the closest Genius Bar is a while away.

How long can I keep my Macbook Pro like this (it's at a 82% charge without the MagSafe adapter in) where it's Not Charging but plugged in?

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) 2.26 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
In an update, hours later I've returned to my Macbook Pro and the battery has increased to 89% over three hours of being idle. I guess it's kind of charging when not in use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
????Gremlins????;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I wonder what the CPU load, disk IO and GPU load was at the time. If, and I've had this happen using 60w adapter on my mbp.. you exceed the power draw on the power adapter, there won't be enough power left to charge the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.