New Macbook Pro w Lion - How can I keep messages on my mail server?

Reaction score
I would like to keep messages on my server, because my new Macbook Pro is for home use, and I like to be able to download my messages on my home computer (iMac). However, when I delete messages on the Macbook Mail, they seem to be removed from the server also.

I opened Preferences, Advanced, and I'm looking for the "remove messages from server" option to uncheck it, but this option is not there.

This is Mail 5.0, Lion 10.7

Thanks.

Reaction score
what if you go to preferences then click on accounts then the advanced tab, there a checkbox that says "remove copy from server after retrieving message" mine is checked and that keeps all my messages on the server. try that I'm not sure if it would work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some servers do not allow messages to remain. In other words, when you access your account on line or "get messages" from a mail program, they are considered read and removed from the server.

Go on line to your mail ISP provider, log into your account, and see if there is an option there to allow mail to remain on the server. If there isn't and you don't have that option in Mac Mail, there's not much you can do about it except get another mail provider.

Reaction score
Do you mean set up your email as IMAP as appose to POP.

IMAP - Syncs with your mail server and leaves messages on there.

POP - Collects mail from the mail server and deletes them on doing so.

OP
C
Reaction score
what if you go to preferences then click on accounts then the advanced tab, there a checkbox that says "remove copy from server after retrieving message" mine is checked and that keeps all my messages on the server. try that I'm not sure if it would work.

Thanks - there is no checkbox like that on my advanced tab. I wonder if they changed things for the new operating system?

OP
C
Reaction score
Some servers do not allow messages to remain. In other words, when you access your account on line or "get messages" from a mail program, they are considered read and removed from the server.

Go on line to your mail ISP provider, log into your account, and see if there is an option there to allow mail to remain on the server. If there isn't and you don't have that option in Mac Mail, there's not much you can do about it except get another mail provider.

My iMac at home allows me to retrieve mail and leaves the message on the server. I'll have to bring this computer home and compare settings. That one uses Snow Leopard, though, and this one uses Lion.

OP
C
Reaction score
mine looks similar, with the first two lines the same, but instead of saying the "remove messages...." line, it says
- "compact messages automatically" which cannot be unselected, then it says
- "keep copies of messages for offline viewing" which I have selected.

I use Yahoo mail (actually Bellsouth which is run by Yahoo)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.