Magic Mouse with Lion? Should I have gotten a trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Why not get both. It's always good to try something new.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Why not get both. It's always good to try something new.

Yeah my imac just shipped with teh magic mouse so barring me absolutely falling in love with the trackpad right away I'll just wait to pick it up a little later. I do see myself getting it at some point though and having either device as a backup (unless of course I absolutely hate the pad)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Err..CTS is generally related to compression of the Median Nerve in the wrist and this is unlikely in both cases. Most info relates to an old study that cited typing as the main cause but modern theory concentrates on idiopathic causes, in other words nobody has a clue, but posture is deemed to be a major contributory factor and you can't use either devices properly without sitting up with your back straight.
Associated pain from constantly bruising fingertips and joints on keyboards is commonly misconstrued as CTS. When we are asleep our wrists flex (don't go there!) and sometimes this strain can evidence itself the morning after.

That's all lovely I guess, and I'm aware of what CTS is related to but... you're assuming that everybody whom uses a mouse or trackpad uses them at a proper angle, sitting at a desk with a proper chair etc.. Right now, my trackpad is situated on a pillow in a somewhat awkward position, causing my wrist to be slightly depressed. Were I to remain like this for too long and continuously so, I can assure you that CTS symptoms would surface. chances are, I'm not alone in how and where these devices are used.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Everyone has there own preferences, personally I much prefer the magic mouse.
Not a fan of trackpads, although the apple one is the best I've tried. I just find the mouse much more comfortable and precise

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Everyone has there own preferences, personally I much prefer the magic mouse.
Not a fan of trackpads, although the apple one is the best I've tried. I just find the mouse much more comfortable and precise

Thanks. I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat as you but I still see myself adjusting to the trackpad at some point. I was looking at videos and testing it out on a regular mouse and the movements don't seem to bother me when swiping on a regular mouse so I'm pretty optimistic.

Looks like magic mouse is making a comeback from being down 5-1 :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thanks. I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat as you but I still see myself adjusting to the trackpad at some point. I was looking at videos and testing it out on a regular mouse and the movements don't seem to bother me when swiping on a regular mouse so I'm pretty optimistic.

Looks like magic mouse is making a comeback from being down 5-1 :)

It is - but you also voted on your own poll which sort of skews the results a bit. :Angry-Tongue:

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is - but you also voted on your own poll which sort of skews the results a bit. :Angry-Tongue:

Lol sorry. And i voted wrong too...casue I should have voted both...but considering I don't know enough I probably shouldn't have voted at all.
:Oops:

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to add a little something to those who might stumble into this thread with the same questions that I did.

I tested out the trackpad yesterday at a friends house and it is excellent. I should mention that I despise trackpads on laptops but you should go into the trackpad with an open mind as it's nothing like what you've used before. One of my favorite parts is the actual clcik of the trackpad when you want to select something...it gives way similar to click on a mouse...as opposed to no give.

Anyways, I'm more inclined to think that it's probably best to have both items. The magic mouse does seem to be a bit more "precise".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree, I have 3 devices I use here all the time. Magic Trackpad, Magic Mouse and Logitech MX900 BT Mouse. I use the Logitech mostly for Gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
That's all lovely I guess, and I'm aware of what CTS is related to but... you're assuming that everybody whom uses a mouse or trackpad uses them at a proper angle, sitting at a desk with a proper chair etc.. Right now, my trackpad is situated on a pillow in a somewhat awkward position, causing my wrist to be slightly depressed. Were I to remain like this for too long and continuously so, I can assure you that CTS symptoms would surface. chances are, I'm not alone in how and where these devices are used.

Doug
Well I didn't mean it to be lovely ;D. You just can't fundamentally state that it is or will be CTS because the syndrome is idiopathic. I mistook 'comfy position' for 'good posture'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lion OS 10.7.1
This enables you to do two things: You can now disable three finger window drag and use the single finger double tap to drag instead. Why would one want to do this? Because now you can use the three finger gesture for something else. You'd now go to the rightmost tab in trackpad preferences, and set swipe pages to use two or three fingers. Or you could just use the three finger option. Now you can navigate back and forth in the OS universally.

Thanks for this tip! I just ordered the track pad last night. I had mixed feelings about as I have always been a mouse user. I have the 2011 Macbook Pro and realized that I use two hands on it. I have to change some of my habits to learn the track pad. I really like the mouse gestures with the macbook pro. I know that I will love having the pad to use when I hook up my macbook to my monitor at home in the evening.

Anyone know of some good deals on a cinema display? I am itching to have the whole mac experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.