Desktop Aliases

Reaction score
I got some wallpaper with shelving on it. I'd like to have some aliases to some of the folders in Documents on there, but I'd rather not have the word "Alias" or, the little curved arrow. I can get it without alias by Command Option dragging but can't find a way to not show the arrow, any suggestions. I'm running fully updated Lion.

I should say I have found some articles on doing it with earlier versions of osx but I'm new to Macs and I'm not sure if they're still relevant.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's a way to do it from "Terminal". See the following article and LINK to this MacWorld hint. Be careful when using Terminal, make sure you backup before attempting it.

Reaction score
What OS are you running? Lion comes with Launchpad which sounds like what you are trying to rebuild there...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The commands in chscag's post look perfectly fine if you copy and paste them. If you want to undo it (restore the badge), do the following two commands:
Code:
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

Code:
sudo mv AliasBadgeIcon_OFF.icns AliasBadgeIcon.icns
Like the article notes, you'll have to restart Finder after that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.