Screen goes to black before login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2
A while ago I ran into the problem where when I opened the lid of my MacBook the screen goes to black before I can log in.

This only happens when under power - it works just fine when running on batteries.

It appears to be somewhat intermittent. It was doing this for a couple of weeks. When I took it to the Apple store for this and a couple of other problems, of course it was behaving properly. When I opened up this morning it started happening again.

Anyone else ever run into this problem and if so what is the solution?

Thanks,

dc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You say the screen goes black. I'm assuming you're referring to coming out of sleep mode, or is this from a power up after shutting down?

About the only thing I can suggest for now is to do a SMC reset to see if that resolves it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2
Thanks for getting back to me.

This happens after I have put my Mac to sleep after closing the lid. When I reopen the lid, the login appears, but before I can put in my password the screen goes black.

I remove the power cord and everything reappears and I can continue on. After logging in I replace the power and everything continues as if it were normal.

One other thing I did find today is that if I continue with the password, even though the screen is black, the Mac actually does the login. I remove and replace the power and everything is back and logged in.

I did try the SMC and still get the same issue.

Hope this helps, but I may have to go to the Apple store again. But of course when I go there it will not happen:Angry-Tongue:

dc

Reaction score
This has been happening to me as well.

The issue that you described has been happening to me as well. I open my Macbook Pro from sleeping and see the login screen, before I start typing the screen turns off. I did not realize your first trick with the power supply worked. I have found, though, that if you type in your password, press enter, and then press the "screen brightness up" button the screen goes from off to one block on the brightness scale.

It seems like there is some kind of glitch in the brightness settings or something.

Hope someone can know how to fix - although it isn't a significant issue, it can get annoying after a while.

Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Cheers

Reaction score
Also interested to see it is not just mine having this stupid problem but I am equally concerned it is wide spread. I have the same issue and though it mostly comes on when i type my password not always. If anyone has a fix please post.

Reaction score
I am also having the same exact issue, however unplugging and hitting the brightness button doesn't fix the problem. I have to open and close it several times before it doesn't go dark. It has also started turning the camera on while I try to type my password into the dark screen. Very weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.